Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Heres your chance to speak up?

saddlepants

central Ohio
COLUMBUS, OH – The 2012-13 hunting and trapping regulation proposals were presented on January 4 to the Ohio Wildlife Council by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife.

September 1 is the proposed kick-off date for the state's fall hunting season beginning with squirrel and dove hunting. Other proposed hunting and trapping rules will be similar to those now in effect, with only slight changes to fall and spring hunting dates.

Hunters age 17 and under are proposed access to hunt statewide for rabbit, pheasant and all other legal game in season during two designated weekends, October 20-21 and 27-28. Spring youth turkey season is proposed for April 20-21, 2013.

The remainder of the proposals concerning Ohio's white-tailed deer hunting will be heard during a separate Wildlife Council meeting on February 8.

Open houses will be held on Saturday, March 3 in each of the state's five wildlife districts to provide the public an opportunity to view and discuss proposed hunting and trapping regulations with state wildlife officials. Directions to the open houses can be found at wildohio.com or by calling 1-800-WILDLIFE.

A statewide hearing on all of the proposed rules will be held at the Division of Wildlife’s District One office on Thursday, March 8 at 9 a.m.. The office is located at 1500 Dublin Road in Columbus.

After considering public input, the Ohio Wildlife Council will vote on the proposed rules and season dates during its April 4 meeting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You mean be ignored, treated like a moron, and basically laughed at right.. Name me one regulation that was changed after a person aired their disagreement at one of those open houses. I can show you people who will tell you the dnr acted like snobs though when anyone disagreed with them there.

Are we to pretend that only issues brought up there are ever known, and they have no clue about the hundreds of threads like these on many Ohio hunting forums.

Nope. They can keep their fake "we care" dog and pony show. Come spring I'm going to be shoulder deep in their ass.

Last edited:

Lundy

. Name me one regulation that was changed after a person aired their disagreement at one of those open houses.

The MZ season was moved back to January largely because of the input given by hunters during these open houses, or at least that was the explanation given by the ODNR for the change back.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The MZ season was moved back to January largely because of the input given by hunters during these open houses, or at least that was the explanation given by the ODNR for the change back.

Funny thing about that is I heard farm more arguments to the contrary on the boards when this was raised. Most people I knew were/are against the January version of MZ season. But is sounds good if you say the general population wants it there...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Really... Huh.. Could have fooled me. I don't recall seeing anyone loving the idea. Matter of fact I think there were plenty who thought it stupid because of shed bucks. But hey, whatever.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Really... Huh.. Could have fooled me. I don't recall seeing anyone loving the idea. Matter of fact I think there were plenty who thought it stupid because of shed bucks. But hey, whatever.

I for one like it in January, that's where it used to be. Most of the guys I ml hunt with prefer it too. Too many family issues to deal with between the holidays. After years of hunting the January season I only remember us killing one shed buck, really not much of an issue.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I for one like it in January, that's where it used to be. Most of the guys I ml hunt with prefer it too. Too many family issues to deal with between the holidays. After years of hunting the January season I only remember us killing one shed buck, really not much of an issue.

Most of the guys I know like it in january as well. Caused way to many fights with wives and other family members...lol... I for one don't really care when they have it cause I'm usually buck tagged out anyways...:smiley_arrogant:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Most of the guys I know like it in january as well. Caused way to many fights with wives and other family members...lol... I for one don't really care when they have it cause I'm usually buck tagged out anyways...:smiley_arrogant:

Funny but true! And it's usually a pig!lol

camofry

*Supporting Member*
You mean be ignored, treated like a moron, and basically laughed at right.. Name me one regulation that was changed after a person aired their disagreement at one of those open houses. I can show you people who will tell you the dnr acted like snobs though when anyone disagreed with them there.

Are we to pretend that only issues brought up there are ever known, and they have no clue about the hundreds of threads like these on many Ohio hunting forums.

Nope. They can keep their fake "we care" dog and pony show. Come spring I'm going to be shoulder deep in their ass.

I am with Joe on this one. I go to every one of these and it NEVER changes nothing.