Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Yote encounter while bow hunting,,,

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I know some have seen these pics in my "Deer Mount" thread, but it didn't include the story behind them. Enjoy...

Was hunting for my buck one rainy wet morning and I had a mature doe come out 30yrds from the north. She appeared to be quite nervous, intensely looking around. Thinking that a buck might be in the area, I continued watching when this giant coyote appeared 20yrds northwest of her. Each of them couldn’t see each other even through they’re yards apart. She just stepped over this down tree and laid down still 30-35yrds from me. It was obvious to me that the coyote wasn’t exactly sure where she was and started circling around her. As he started circling and was working closer to me, I pick a lane to take him. Once he reached that point, I released and drilled him right through chest. He ran right underneath me heading east for another 60yrds; fell down and expired. The doe had no clue what just happen and slowly walked off and left the area. I continued to deer hunt for another hour or so with no more deer sightings. I was pretty happy though that I busted that coyote.
I truly believe that male was intending to kill that doe. Each new season it seems like I have more and more coyote encounters while deer hunting. I try to take a coyote when I can. Not the easiest thing to do with a bow. This season, I had at least six different hunts that were spoiled by coyotes chasing deer. This is the season that finally made me decide to take up coyote hunting more seriously.
I knew this coyote was big based on share looks and dragging him out of the woods. I had to stop on several occasions to catch my breath, mind you I was also carrying my climber, pack and bow too. He’s a huge 55lb. male with a beautiful coat. He’s my first coyote compound bow kill. I’m having a full body mount done and rest assure that I will share with all of you when I get him back. I wish I had better pictures for you, but honestly I didn’t think it was real big deal until my taxi guy told me what I had.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Nice Yote Wildlife! Yes, anything over 50 for a yote is big in my book! Biggest one around here I've heard about was 61# and he was snared and had poor color. Congrats on getting a Big one With Good Color. That is a special treat.

Huckleberry Finn

Stinky freaking bastards. I drug out the first one I shot out, took it to the taxi, heard how much he wanted for a full mount and threw it out. I will never move another one further than kicking it over to take its picture, unless I've got cash to burn. Nasty varmints.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Stinky freaking bastards. I drug out the first one I shot out, took it to the taxi, heard how much he wanted for a full mount and threw it out. I will never move another one further than kicking it over to take its picture, unless I've got cash to burn. Nasty varmints.

Hey, I hear what you’re saying. I originally was going to let him lay until I checked him out up close and personal. I called my taxi guy and explained the situation. He said bring him by so he could take a look at him. He’s only 15 minutes away. He weighed him out, looked him over real good and said he’d mount him being a 1st bow yote and all. Watching that yote stalk that doe was one of the coolest things I ever witnessed in the woods. It was pretty surreal actually. No doubt that I’ve seen many other yotes in the woods chasing deer and rabbits, but not quite like this. I wish I had it on video. If I did, most would be completely convinced that yotes hunt deer too. Yes, it’s not cheap, but some of the yote mounts I’ve seen are some of coolest ones. I honestly can’t wait to get him back and add him to the man cave collection.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Bow kill on a yote that big would be mounted in my house as well. Don't happen very often, especially on one of that size! Great story to tell when people ask about it as well.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice job on a big yote! Stinky? Yep. Worth an arrow or bullet? darn right! No doubt in my mind they chase deer. I have seen it more this year than ever before as well. Not sure why, but this year seems to be a big turning point in our area. Must have had a good breeding season last year or they are simply moving this way more. The numbers are definitely up.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I drug the first one I killed with a bow out and threw it in the Jeep. She didn't make it home. Would have made a great mount, but there will be time for that some day...

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I drug the first one I killed with a bow out and threw it in the Jeep. She didn't make it home. Would have made a great mount, but there will be time for that some day...

Nice! Happy to see another dead yote. Super photo too!

Wished I had field pictures of mine. Just to many neat things about my hunt not to mount, plus he's big. Thanks for sharing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dang Jesse, she had a nice coat! I remember when you posted that pic. Great shot TOO!

It's a hunt I'll never forget. Greg was with me that morning and not 5 minutes after I shot her, a huge cinnamon colored male came through on the same trail. When the arrow exited her (the side you can see) it shot back up the trail. The big male stopped on a dime when he got to the arrow and bolted. It took me 15+ years of hunting to get a shot at a yote and I damn near killed two with a bow in 5 minutes! Had I shot the male, he'd be mounted in my basement for sure. Probably the "prettiest" yote I've ever seen besides a dead one...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's what you call a great hunting memory right there man! I've shot and hit two yotes with my bow and drew substantial blood but didn't follow up in tracking much on either two because in was in the middle of the rut and they both headed towards thickets known for bedding areas. Wasn't about to Fugg up my deer hunting over a yote. Would have been nice to have found them for the hero pics though. They might not have been lethal enough shots but they both yelped and bled some which is good enough for me.lol

The thing about yotes though, they don't sit or stand still long and you better be ready and forget about making a sound to stop them cuz they'll blow out of Dodge in a hurry if you do! Wiley fuggars!haha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They might not have been lethal enough shots but they both yelped and bled some which is good enough for me.lol

hahahahhaahhahaha! Love it! I hit one last winter while coyote hunting with a 223 round. We had some blood, but couldn't trail it onto the next property. Pretty much the same feelings you had about yours Ric. Good enough for me to know it suffered. Hope it died, but even if it just suffered like all the animals it makes suffer. . . I was happy!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
hahahahhaahhahaha! Love it! I hit one last winter while coyote hunting with a 223 round. We had some blood, but couldn't trail it onto the next property. Pretty much the same feelings you had about yours Ric. Good enough for me to know it suffered. Hope it died, but even if it just suffered like all the animals it makes suffer. . . I was happy!

Lol Phil! I was even hoping they ended up being ripped apart by their own kind if they were injured enough.haha. Better yet by a fox or a opposum. Lmao