Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote Learning Curve

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I went out to shoot a coyote with a crossbow this evening. I learned a little bit today!
#1 ~ Do Not Call Again after the coyote is close (100yds~I lost him in the brush) or you may spook him and he does not come in to your road-killed rabbit on a stake.
#2 ~ A Hawk WILL come in and snatch your wabbit off the metal stake! So use a stake that has a head on it to keep your wabbit secure!
#3 ~ Froze Azz off for nothing!:smiley_blackeye:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lip squeak or a mouse squeaker. Just a couple thoughts. Getting one within 100yds is not as easy as it sounds. Here is what I have learned when it comes to calling, if they are still moving towards you sometimes it is best to quit calling. If they hang up, sometimes lip squeaking them in or using a mouse squeaker will coax them in that last little bit.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I went out to shoot a coyote with a crossbow this evening. I learned a little bit today!
#1 ~ Do Not Call Again after the coyote is close (100yds~I lost him in the brush) or you may spook him and he does not come in to your road-killed rabbit on a stake.
#2 ~ A Hawk WILL come in and snatch your wabbit off the metal stake! So use a stake that has a head on it to keep your wabbit secure!
#3 ~ Froze Azz off for nothing!:smiley_blackeye:

Phil had some good answers.... Mine would be use a rifle...... :smiley_crocodile:

I wouldn't dream of using a rimfire for coyotes. They're tough customers and can take a lot of punishment. I suggest using nothing less than centerfire rifles and/or a shotgun. Otherwise, missed shots, miss placed shots are doing nothing more than educating the coyotes to the fact that they're being hunted by humans. Coyotes are like dogs, in that they learn from all their experiences and do not forget...which is what makes them great survivors.

If the landowner won't allow firearms for coyotes, than maybe he needs more coyotes and less game animals. :smiley_arrogant:
I hit this one 3 times, with a .223. One of the bullets blew off his rear leg and he still ran over 60 yards to the woods, where I found him...still breathing his las breath.

Bowhunter57

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Can't talk the owner into rifles for yotes??? Alot of people make exceptions for them.....

He's 91 and No Guns is the only rule I have here. He don't care how many Coyotes are here....He lives in Michigan and only visits on occasion. That's why I'm the caretaker and pretty much get the run of the place. Mossy Oak can tell you what kind of deer spot I have..... It's Awesome.... so I can live with the bow only rule.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Yea...When their up there to 91 years old, it's sorta hard to convince them of what really should be done. There's day's I wish I could, but also day's I'm glad it's just bow.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I know it's nearly impossbible to get one with a crossbow......That is why I wanna do it so bad. I've been working on a game plan and I have a few tricks to try. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna snare a couple and then shoot em with the crossbow! I figure all is fair if it's legal!