Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington 700 ML

Lundy

If anyone has one they would like to sell please let me know.

Prefer SS, any caliber is fine

Thanks,
Kim

Lundy

Thanks, but no that won't work for what I have planned with this custom build.

Lundy

First you purchase a used 700ML, there were over 100,000 sold so It won't be that difficult.

Next you throw away the barrel and stock or give them to someone that can use them

Then you purchase an after market custom barrel for smokeless in 45 caliber.

You then send all of the good stuff to a gun builder that is capable of bedding the action in a new stock, 3rd pillar, barrel install, breach plug head spacing, bolt nose modification, new recoil lug, etc, etc, etc.

Then you send the guy a check for a bunch of money and he sends you your completed gun

You shoot in the 2500 - 3000 FPS area,( you decide) with great accuracy and almost no cleanup required and very safe.

I have 2 savages MZ's where I have already done this custom 45 conversion. They shoot great, just looking for another project.

I am not the pioneer with these builds, just a follower of a bunch of guys that are much more gun build knowledgeable than me.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow.... that's a heck of a build.... can't wait to read the results.... what are they selling for prior to mod?????

Lundy

SS $200 -$300 depending on condition and scope or not. Then add another $1000 - $1500 for the parts and build depending on what you do with it, before the scope cost

My Savage 45 conversions shoot really well. The 700ML can't shoot any better, just a different gun that I will dress up with fluted barrel, bolt, etc. I may build the 700 to be a sabotless shooter versus the sabot .40 195 barnes that I shoot currently from my Savages. I just really like having the bullet go where I want it to go when and if I pull the trigger.

100 yards

200 yards

Last edited:

Lundy

No, but many others have with no success from a smokeless

The problem comes with the velocities you generate with smokeless power. The sabots for bullets that far under barrel diameter can't handle the stresses and accuracy goes to hell when the sabot fails.

If someone ever offers a .357/45 sabot that would hold up there are many waiting to give it a test. All available today have already been tested with poor results

I know that PR offers the .357 sabot but it has never worked from the 50's or 45's with smokeless. In fact you can't even shoot a PR bullet with most smokeless loads, way too fast for an all lead bullet

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just buy the factory muzzy version. ;)

Can't believe that they stopped selling it. Figured it would be popular.

Lundy

Are there aftermarket actions available for a build like this? Seems to me that someone would have filled that niche...

The market is very small, not large enough for someone to want to make one, there are bunches and bunches of 700ML put on the used market every year and it is a very good action. Parts are readily available for the 700's

I have found a dozen 700 MLs for sale but they are all over the country, I was hoping to find something local and maybe purchase from someone wanting to upgrade.

Hunter II

@Lundy - I had the same results even when I reduced 777 to 70gr. I'm going to let the kids burn up my 2 boxes of XTP's and sabots this summer.

@Beentown - I would bet it had something to do with the amount of corrosion inside the bolt when folks didn't clean them properly.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sold one last year (blued) for around $100. Never could get it to shoot accurate. Figured rather than spending $70-80 on the different primer I would put that towards the purchase of my TC. I guess you should have posted a year ago September. lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This may be a stupid question, but why would you spend that kind of money to turn a Rem 700 ML into a smokeless ML when you could just buy a brand new Savage smokeless ML?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
This may be a stupid question, but why would you spend that kind of money to turn a Rem 700 ML into a smokeless ML when you could just buy a brand new Savage smokeless ML?

That is what I was thinking but I bet the quality of having a custom job is one of the reasons. I see people get to a point where off the shelf is "old news". I hope it takes me a while to get there. Once it does things get REALLY expensive. lol

You can't get the Muzzy brand new anymore as they quit producing it.

Plus, if I remember right Lundy is HUGE into muzzleloading. Why buy an Elite bow if a $250 Bear can kill at 30 yards?