Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What makes someone a "survivialist"?

Today I found myself wondering what makes someone a survivalist opposed to a non-survivalist. It seems that most human beings are naturally wired to be survivalists but perhaps not. Thought I'd toss out the question to explore alternative perspectives. What are your thoughts?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Necessity first. Knowledge second. Ability to implement knowledge third. If you don't have the first two and you fail to carry out the third, you are a non-survivalist.

I personally don't have a ton of survival knowledge. Just a bit of what I have read here and there. Never pursued learning it on any large scale. What you say is "human beings are naturally wired to be survivalists" to me is more a matter of fight or flight. Backed into a corner, I suppose eventually most would fight for their lives. I would think a "survivalist" would be one that has studied survival skills to a degree and puts themselves in positions to implement their skills. Obviously some will study these skills "just in case they might need them someday" without putting themselves in a position to be tested. Some people probably enjoy studying survival just like others might like model trains though. Most of these are probably overweight mall security guards that never qualified for the military. lol I guess I would be more of a "fight" vs "flight" guy than i would consider myself to be a "survivalist".

saddlepants

central Ohio
Im with Hicks. I think its a personal thing with some knowledge stored away. But I dont think you need to practice it nec. Im sure it would help. But in being a woman I can tell the diff quick with women I meet weather they are just gonna stand there and freak out or get busy planning on whats gonna happen next. Hope for rescue but plan for the long haul...and do it NOW. I would consider myself a survivalist. Haha kinda reminds me of the term "professional hunter" and "professional gambler" who decided who gets these titles? lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Choice. The word "survivalist" to me is like using the word "bowhunter" to describe myself. I see it as someone who has chosen survival skills and training as their primary hobby and they have let it come to define them. A "non-survivalist" is just someone who does not devote time and attention to said skills and training. Just my thoughts...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
A survivalist has a pallet of Spam and bottled water in their bomb shelter.

And? lol
Dang, I need a bomb shelter.

I think the situation will dictate if a person is a "survivalist" more than skill. Sure the weak and dumb will not last as long as a person with good sense, decently prepared individual. But different people/types will excel in different scenarios. Surviving off the land/being prepared is completely different than a SHTF scenario.

I believe the best assets to have is a good general knowledge base/or have accesss to it, having some preparations made, have a plan (hopefully with a trusted group/family members) and being able to say no to people that are not your responsibility.

brianridesbikes

You could go crazy with the definition game... technically a survivalist is one of those bomb shelter freaks who has a years worth of c-rations in their cellar and a 1970 copy of the Boy Scouts of America handbook.

True survival is more about adaptability than over-preparation. Anyone can stockpile food, medical supplies, water, a weeks worth of backpacking supplies, 6 feet of rope, etc... a true "survivalist" could make due with a minimal amount of supplies in any situation... but I wouldn't call that a survivalist... i'd call that a man. or in rarer cases a woman. ;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Aren't all humans, to some degree, wired to be "survivalists"- isn't it somewhat instinctual?

Originally, I would say probably so. In other countries, most likely still this way. In this country? Umm. . . we are taking the survival instinct out of our citizens. Our government is taking the drive out of people to take care of themselves. People are being trained to rely on someone else to take care of them. IF/When faced with a situation to step up and make things happen, it will be interesting to see how many people accept the challenges.

Dogs used to have to work for their keep. Guard dogs. Watch the flock. Bark when someone shows up at your property. Hunting dogs. Etc. We have done the same thing to dogs over the years as well. How many dogs will go out and work when asked anymore? Same thing with humans. They expect to sit on the couch, wait for you to fill their food bowls, and lay back to have their bellies scratched.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Aren't all humans, to some degree, wired to be "survivalists"- isn't it somewhat instinctual?

It may be "wired in" however most have lost the knowledge to survive even to most basic of situations such as make a fire w/ out a lighter, locate a shelter, find and cook food or keep from walking in circles. Many here may find the statement un-true however the population as a whole has lost most of the skills needed to even live and provide a 30 day survival situation.

Given 30 min. to put together a bug-out bag, it would probably be comical to see what some take...
Just say en

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
With today’s economy, we’re all “survivalists”. lol Do we not have the desire to live while facing difficulty? I’m a survivalist until I’m dead is the way I see it.