Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rack Characteristic

RUT NUT

What is your ONE favorite rack characteristic? Mine would have to be split brow tines. I just love the look of them!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I know one would have to go outside the state for this one; velvet would be somethin really cool. Next to that, I would say long defined drop tine or tines.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love mass as well. I don't care if it were only 16-17" inside spread. If it has mega mass, you just can't help but love it. The thing is, I like it all. We see a lot of narrow, heavy, 8-10pts around here which are the majority of our "shooters". You get one with 20" inside spread and it looks wide. I like the big sweeping main beams as well and of course drop tines are killer. Give me 24" wide or so, with long sweeping main beams, mega mass, 12" or more tines, some 8" dagger brow tines, matching drops, maybe a couple kickers on say a 12-14pt deer and it would be the ultimate deer. I think I would hear angels singing if I saw a deer like this in bow range. lmao

I have a couple spindley 8pts on camera this year with decent tine length. I look at them and think "Hmm, wonder how much mass they will put on in the next couple years?" I am just not as worked up with the tine length as I am the mass AND tine length. Not sure why other than my first deer had some crazy mass.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The buck you described up above sounds great to me Phil.

If I were to rank my rack traits:

1)mass
2)drop tines
3)long tines
4)long main beams
5)split or kickers
6)wide spread
7)dark rack

.......massive tines,bases and main beams give me a chubby!:smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well then, since we are ranking them, lol

1. Mass
2. Long main beams
3. Brow tines from hell
4. Wide
5. Tine length
6. Junk at the bases (massive bases at that)
7. Drop tines
8. Kickers