Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rock and roll

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's pretty wild! 2011 sure has been a wicked year for weather and earthquakes. 2012 should be interesting... I hope those fuggin Mayans were terrible at math.

Huckleberry Finn

Huckleberry Finn

It's not the fracking. It MIGHT be the injection wells causing induced seismicity. http://esd.lbl.gov/research/projects/induced_seismicity/ http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/dec/31/dampl-halts-operations-at-brine-well/?mobile

Or it just might be natural earthquakes. Anyhow I added earthquake insurance to my house a year and a half ago. 150 year old brick houses ain't the most earthquake proof structures.

Sam,

Thanks for that link - that's very good stuff and I book marked it after I read it. I guess I had never thought about injection wells causing seismic activity, but then again in my uneducated opinion, I find that hard to believe! The first paragraph about the rapid extraction of oil/gas is a little more likely, I would think, consider that there are Utica wells in Canton pumping out bcfs of gas and wet gases every day (talk about a gusher!).

The natural earthquake thing is likely as well. My comment about fracking really wasn't serious, I know that it doesn't! After this summer's quake one expert said this: “If Marcellus drilling caused an earthquake hundreds of miles away, and then it also caused the Great Depression, the Black Plague, the October Revolution, and the break-up of the Beatles.”

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Sam,

Thanks for that link - that's very good stuff and I book marked it after I read it. I guess I had never thought about injection wells causing seismic activity, but then again in my uneducated opinion, I find that hard to believe! The first paragraph about the rapid extraction of oil/gas is a little more likely, I would think, consider that there are Utica wells in Canton pumping out bcfs of gas and wet gases every day (talk about a gusher!).The natural earthquake thing is likely as well. My comment about fracking really wasn't serious, I know that it doesn't! After this summer's quake one expert said this: “If Marcellus drilling caused an earthquake hundreds of miles away, and then it also caused the Great Depression, the Black Plague, the October Revolution, and the break-up of the Beatles.”

Quantitative volume of "bcfs" = boocoo fucking shitload?