Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite caliber for coyotes?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Given the conversation regarding the use of an AK47 for coyote hunting, I cannot believe we don't have a thread about favorite coyote guns yet. Or maybe we do and I was just to lazy to do a search first. hahah

I recall someone asking if you would use a slug gun for coyotes? I think the answer was a resounding "yes". Shortly after, I confirmed I would do so given the opportunity. Just to reaffirm, I WILL do it again given the opportunity. !cid_983 Dec 3 coyote with 870.jpg

I will admit, generally when coyote hunting I carry a 223 simply because it is the caliber of the weapon I feel most comfy with and already have decked out for the low light conditions. I know many feel the 223 is a bit light, but with the amount of houses around here, I have to be careful enough already so this bullet/caliber combination is my most frequent choice.

I do have a 243 I have been playing with and have yet to shoot anything other than a target with it as of yet. Eventually I would like to hunt the KY rifle season with it, although in the mean time I do have a couple properties which I could get away with using this rifle on.

Tonight, I had to move my safe. In the process of putting everything away, I finally broke down and put a Leupold Scope on my 22-250. Been meaning to anyway, but emptying the safe and having both of these out gave me a good excuse. Besides this, my wonderful wife bought me the Caldwell Lead Sled for Christmas I wanted and I can't wait to fine tune the scope on the 243. Figured it would be a great time to dial in the 22-250 as well. More shooting means more fun!

Curious as to what the rest of you guys use. I should add, I generally carry a 17hmr in the truck seasonally. While it is in there when I am groundhog hunting, I won't lie to you, I would use it on a coyote if given the opportunity. I really would need just the perfect conditions to put a head shot on a coyote or at a minimum a nice broadside shot at a resting position (not on a running yote), but I would use it. I don't think it is enough for a yote unless you get a headshot or a perfect shot at the vitals, but I feel I could make it happen given the right conditions. It was plenty lethal and on the money this summer for groundhogs (longest groundhog shot of 96yds), so I feel a broadside or head shot on a resting coyote under 100yds would receive a bullet from me. Chances of seeing one during daylight, in the summer, under these conditions? Yeah, pretty slim. lol

I wouldn't dream of carrying anything in a rimfire, for coyotes. Granted shot placement is everything, but I've been hunting/calling coyotes long enough to know that waiting on a good shot, may mean no shot and another educated coyote. Plus, coyotes are tougher than nails and can take a lot of punishment.

My preference is a centerfire rifle with enough ballistic speed to fragment a bullet, to stop ricochets...and enough power to flatten a coyote with authority.
The 3 calibers that I was considering, before I made my purchase were:
* .22-250 and a 55gr. V-Max loaded as hot as good accuracy would allow.
* .25-06 and a 75gr. V-Max or 87gr. Ballistic Tip.
* 300 Weatherby Magnum and a 125gr. V-Max.
* .338 Win. Mag. and a 180gr. V-Max.

All 4 calibers have the same ballistics (mid 3000 fps), but each one increases the amount of lead to get the job done. As it turns out, the quarter bore was a good middle of the road for overall cost of purchasing and shooting. I'm very happy with my choice, as I've owned a couple of .22-250s before and wanted something different.

Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

Well I've shot one with a slug (dead) and one with a .22 (banana clip, all I had in the truck)....does that count for anything?

camofry

*Supporting Member*
This would depend on if you want something that is fur friendly or just want a dead dog. If I am trying to save the fur I use the .17 or 22mag. If I am just trying to clean them out of a farm we like to have a little fun with them and pick them off with a .223 for the long shots on the run and if they get to close before we see them the back up is a 12ga with 00 buck. Last year we found some .410 shells at a gun shop that was loaded for the Judge that have
3 00 buck pellets in them.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thats a HELL of Bullet out of a 223....I think you mean 50 cal:smiley_blackeye:

Take the ONE off lmao. dang happy keyboard fingers anyway. Hate it when my brain works faster then my typing lol.

68gr. and I do also have 69gr bullet tips if I choose to use them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree BH57. However, given the right circumstances (as in the gun is in the truck and I have a coyote in visual) I would do it. I would never carry one out if my intention on the hunt was to kill coyotes. If I was specifically going on a coyote hunt, the 17hmr would not be with me. 223/22-250/243/shotgun. I would say 75+% of the time it is 223. Probably closer to 90%. Very limited where I can use the 22-250 or 243. Looking forward to trying it a bit more this year though.

Maybe I should add, I am not hunting for the fur. I am hunting coyotes for the sport and for the good of all the other wildlife they destroy. Coyotes and groundhogs are about the only things I shoot with zero intention of eating. Ironically, of all the coyote hunting I have done the last couple of years, the only 2 I have killed and recovered came this year during gun season and the bonus weekend. One with slug and one with muzzle loader. Have hit them with the 223 and not recovered them though. This is the reason for the purchase of the 22-250 and also why I am working on dialing in the 243 as well. I have little doubt they will do the job if I do my job.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

jason's yote.jpg

Favorite caliber? 4x4!

Guy who was at the New Year's Eve party I was at picked this one off of Route 30...good in size

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
View attachment 5395

Favorite caliber? 4x4!

Guy who was at the New Year's Eve party I was at picked this one off of Route 30...good in size

Heck Yeah! Makes it rough when they are in the middle of the field though Huck. If just along the edge of the road, I hear you can get away with only using a 2x4. lol

I guess this means I would be carrying a 3500 6x6 caliber when driving most of the time. hahaha

Glen

204R & I have carried the 221FireBall with a 50gr Bk. I shot my 1st coyote with the 221 whilst I was groundhoggin. I use a 40gr Berger in the 204 but have some 45gr Hornady SP's loaded for my next outing with the 204.