Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

shedding antlers????

arjay

S.E. Ohio
has anyone found any sheds or have any game cam pics of deer missing and antler or maybe even both??? A buddy of mine says he has pics of a buck on his game cam and it has scabs on its head... sounds kinda early to me?

arjay

S.E. Ohio
Wow, im in Washington county. Wonder why there dropping antlers already? Guess my hopes for a black powder buck might be getting slim.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You hear of it happening every year. There area always bucks that drop earlier than others, that's just the way it is. I'm in Washington/Athens and have yet to see a shed buck on cam yet. I think you still have time, just be sure of your target before you shoot, and don't try dragging him by the antlers if you do bust one.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
You hear of it happening every year. There area always bucks that drop earlier than others, that's just the way it is. I'm in Washington/Athens and have yet to see a shed buck on cam yet. I think you still have time, just be sure of your target before you shoot, and don't try dragging him by the antlers if you do bust one.

Greg is right, every year someone starts seeing deer with one antler or scabs where the antlers used to be in late December. Their genetics and nutrition play the major parts in when they drop their horns. Some really nice bucks are taken in late Jan. Just yesterday for example, Finelyshedded posted a great pic of his buddy that killed one this past "late" Jan. So don't get too worried yet..

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd get out and walk around a bit and try to find it/them before the chewin starts or someone else does. With Diane still hunting I'd do it as stealth as possible during mid day and carry my binoculars, just checking out the food sources and staying away from the bedrooms. Goodluck Rick, if you venture out.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Your Right Ric...... was going this morning but slept in. If I do not work tomorrow, I am going to my honey-hole. I found a place last year which is a bedding area but down the road from where Diane hunts. I found 4 large sheds there last year in a 30 x 30 area ~~ which is only 100 yards from pic site.......

saddlepants

central Ohio
Makes me wonder. The whole genetics or testosterone? Maybe just maybe those early shedders were the first and the most bred? Done, worn out first??? That would be an interesting study. One thing I found while searching....
Testosterone controls the antler cycle. In tests, bucks kept in constant 12 hours of light and dark were unable to shed their antlers and grow new ones, and bucks kept in constant light grew and lost three sets of antlers in two years.
.........Large antlered older bucks typically shed their antlers earlier than young small antlered bucks. This may be due to the large amount of energy they expend during the rut. Similarly, deer in good condition typically hold their antlers longer than deer in poor condition.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, Stress due to 1. Injury 2. lack of nutruition, as well as a big drop in testosterone are the biggest factors to cause early shedding. When a buck is dropped or the size of his crown are irrelavant. If a buck is healthy and still breeding and is having no problem in keeping his belly full can carry into April. I've seen it happen before. Like Taylor says, bucks shed early every year but I think one of the factors I mentioned above are the main reasons. I've also noticed the bucks farther north where the snow is deeper and the weather more harsh cast sooner as well.

If I got shot by an arrow or slug during the breeding season I can most assure you the last thing on my mind is breeding a doe!lol Therefore my testosterone is gonna drop. Just my .02.

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
IMO, Stress due to 1. Injury 2. lack of nutruition, as well as a big drop in testosterone are the biggest factors to cause early shedding. When a buck is dropped or the size of his crown are irrelavant. If a buck is healthy and still breeding and is having no problem in keeping his belly full can carry into April. I've seen it happen before. Like Taylor says, bucks shed early every year but I think one of the factors I mentioned above are the main reasons.

Yep.. I've found sheds when out duck hunting in mid December in year's past, but I've also jumped bucks while shed hunting in late March that were still carrying. Stress, nutrition, and overall health are the biggest contributing factors from what I've seen.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not sure I am following all of this. Seems I hear about bucks dropping early from our southern contributors more often than the northern guys. Then again, some of those counties kill 10x the amount of deer we do, so therefore they probably have a larger amount of deer they are watching. More deer equals more abnormalities?

I will throw one more variable or suggestion out there: How about the stories you here of deer that drop on the same date every year? Can't tell me you guys never hear about that one. I hear of deer farms where this is very consistent year in year out. Within a day or so each year their deer drop. I understand these are controlled diets and environments, but I am wondering if wild deer aren't similar but say within a couple weeks instead of a couple days? Just a thought. I honestly have no idea, but I have read this more than once.

I would think it logical if there is an injury or poor nutrition then they would or could drop earlier. This would negate the "same day every year" theory. I know for a fact we had more mature bucks holding antlers on camera last year in late January and early February than young bucks. All the young bucks had dropped but one which held onto one side into May. Not sure what to figure into that one. Maybe the mature bucks were running the younger bucks and does off the food?

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
This pic was sent to me yesterday. They were found this week in Ohio. Im not to convinced they are this years sheds..They look mossy to me. If they are last years, why havent the rodents chewd on them?