Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CCW handguns to check out?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I am going to look into getting my ccw permit and a pistol but dont have any experience/knowledge of handguns. I have read through some of the material on TOO and some of the ccw forums that bowhunter57 poated links to in another thread but really want your guys input.

Understanding that handgun selection is all about what works for the individual, please offer suggestions of guns I should check out. I am thinking compact but other than that I am open for suggestions on manufacturers, calibers, capacities, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Ryan,

Even though my CCW experience isn't as vast as some others on here, I really like my Glock 26. Fairly easy to conceal, holds a lot of rounds 10+1, in 9mm.

I also like my brother in laws Kahr CM9 as well, accurate, a lot easier to conceal, and fit very comfortable in my hand, also in 9mm. Only downside is I don't think it holds as many rounds as my 26.

My cousin carries a Ruger LCP and LC9 (LCP-380 and LC9-9mm), the LCP is awesome for concealing, but is pretty jumpy when firing since it is such a small framed gun. I will own one eventually just for pocket carrying in dress pants though. Easy to slide in and out of pocket on lunch break from glove box.

The LC9 I shot, and didn't like the trigger a bit. Takes a lot to pull and I just couldn't get adjusted to it, but also another small framed 9mm that's easy to conceal.

That's all I can add from personal experience, I'm sure there will be some more informative posts and opinions from the like of Beener, 57, Joe, and others.

Best of luck buddy, best 100 bucks I've ever spent was taking my CCW.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am also in the market and hope to have the whole process done by spring. I have XXL type hands, so I feel comfortable in the 1911 platform. I have shot the Springfield XD series in 9mm and 45. This weekend I shot at Sig 226 and like it. I also shot their 1911 and was pretty comfortable with it.

I had a Smith&Wesson Sigma 9mm that I carried and hated. It shot like shit, but carried well. I might be done with guns that have polymer bottoms.

My other option is a small .38 to carry in my boot. I still have a lot of decisions to make!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I am also in the market and hope to have the whole process done by spring. I have XXL type hands, so I feel comfortable in the 1911 platform. I have shot the Springfield XD series in 9mm and 45. This weekend I shot at Sig 226 and like it. I also shot their 1911 and was pretty comfortable with it.

I had a Smith&Wesson Sigma 9mm that I carried and hated. It shot like shit, but carried well. I might be done with guns that have polymer bottoms.

My other option is a small .38 to carry in my boot. I still have a lot of decisions to make!!!

Yeah I also want a larger framed gun like a 1911 or anything in .45 that shoots well for me to carry in the winter. For me, it would be tough to carry a larger framed gun like that in my dress clothes and conceal it in the spring/summer months. In the winter I would just throw a jacket on over top of it and carry it in a paddle holster.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
First decide if you want a revolver, single action semi auto or double action semi.

Personally I think most folks are best served with a revolver, they are safe, very dependable and very simple to operate in a high stress situation. DA semis are next in ease of use, usually a little thinner then a revolver. As much as I like 1911's they need to be practiced with much more then the others just because you have the added step of disengaging the safety. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you are trying to do it with a gun pointed at you.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I have found that for me if it does not fit in my pocket I won't carry it. The two go to pocket guns for me are a smith 642 or my little kel tec. Have my eye on a khar pm9. I have tried to carry several other ways and just don't like them, just to uncomfortable for fat kids

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
First decide if you want a revolver, single action semi auto or double action semi.

Personally I think most folks are best served with a revolver, they are safe, very dependable and very simple to operate in a high stress situation. DA semis are next in ease of use, usually a little thinner then a revolver. As much as I like 1911's they need to be practiced with much more then the others just because you have the added step of disengaging the safety. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you are trying to do it with a gun pointed at you.

Yep. Lol

I have been through them all for carry (just about). I don't want to carry anything with a safety ever again unless it has a double action pull first option. I did a class where they introduce stress and the number of people not able to manipulate the safety was eye opening...and that was "simulated" stress (time, on lookers, and distractions). Fine motor skills go to shit quickly when it hits the fan.

I believe IWB is superior also for day to day carry. If you think just throwing a jacket over top is gonna work, it isn't. You have the jacket on and decide to go to eat...whatta you going to do? You could untuck your shirt and put it over top but who's to say it is going to be long enough? If it is that holster is going to start chaffing quickly...etc... So many other examples of where OWB is inconvienant that I rarely do it unless on errands or woods carry.

I have decided to pocket carry or IWB all the time or both. I wear a wife beater everyday. My IWB holster goes inbetween my pants and WB. This way I can pretty much wear any firearm I choose. Just a lot more convienant plus you can carry a larger assortment of firearms.

Ones I would recommend.

Single stack IWB - Kahr (P40 for me)
Pocket carry - Kahr (PM40 for me)
Double stack IWB - XD9 (good shooter, ergos, and capacity)
Double stack OWB - CZ 97 (only for errands/woods)
Revolver OWB - Ruger GP100 (woods)
Revolver pocket/IWB - Ruger LCR 357

I wear the Kahrs 90% of the time. I carry everyday, all day. I have a inexpensive but comfortable/reliable CC/IWB rig going up for sale soon if anyone is interested....PM me. It can be carried double action safety off or single action with safety select. Good trainer IMHO.

huntn2,
You'll find that the weapon choice, caliber choice, as well as how it's carried is a VERY personal choice.

Your best bet/advice would be to go to an indoor range and physically put your hands on and shoot as many handguns, that you think you like. It may surprise the heck out of you, as to what you do and don't like...after that experience. The time/money spent on shooting at an indoor range, is well worth every minute. As much as you're going to pay for a handgun, to defend your life, you don't want to have buyer's remorse...much less find yourself in a bad self-defense situation from a bad weapon choice.

A good CCW class will help you with these decisions. The education and experience is worth every penny.

I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P 9c and love it. It's easy to carry/conceal, holds plenty of ammo, is controlable, very accurate and dependable. $489 at TNT Firearms in Findlay.

Hope this helps!
Bowhunter57

The reason I suggest the indoor range: I went into the CCW idea thinking that I was going to carry a full size and/or a compact 1911. After I put a few rounds through several handguns, I ended up liking the 9mm compacts and .38 spl. snub-nosed revolvers. They're both easier to control and conceal.

* Another thing... Large calibers and small handguns don't mix. Unless you have the hands/wrists for it.

As far as brands...well, other than personal preference, I suggest a name brand for reliability.
In no particular order: Glock, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Walther, Kahr, Bersa, Sig Sauer, Kimber, Heckler & Koch, Para Ordinance, Ruger, Desert Eagle (Baby Eagle) and EAA (European American Armory). Ofcourse, there are some high end 1911 brands like Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Rock River Arms and Les Baer...if you have the coin. :smiley_blink:

Again...good luck!
Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep again. Lol

Generally what happens is you start with what is known and then buy until something "fits". I wish you guys lived closer because I would let you try put a couple of different rigs to get a "feel" for them to at least start you off with more info.

I also recommend on a tight budget to skimp on gun and buy a better hoster/belt. Doesn't have to be expensive but the belt from kohls won't cut it for long. A proper holster will also help you carry "safely" since it will fit you and the gun correctly.

A lot of good holster makers out there. Just a few I recommend:

IWB

Crossbreed
MTAC
Kholster

OWB

Milt Sparks
Desantis
FIST

Pocket

Desantis (the only one I have used so far and it is a good one)

If any of you are considering carry or what to carry I have a few rigs you could try if you are close.

Beretta 92FS with Milt Sparks OWB
XD9 with Crossbreed IWB and Bladetech OWB
Kahr CM40 with Desantis Pocket Holster
Kahr P40 with Kholster IWB
CZ82 with IWB Kholster
Ruger LCR with pocket holster and Crossbreed IWB

matt hougan

Dayton area

Para Ordinance Wart Hog.......

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Jesse,

The sigma is known to be a crappy gun. Hell, it is one step above a Hi-point. Polymers are great for carry. The reason it shot so crappy was the trigger. Those had a pull of like 20lbs. Lol

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Jesse,

The sigma is known to be a crappy gun. Hell, it is one step above a Hi-point. Polymers are great for carry. The reason it shot so crappy was the trigger. Those had a pull of like 20lbs. Lol

My BIL has one of those also. The trigger travel on those pistols is pretty long, but the pull is what makes them hard to shoot.

I'm new to the handgun market, buy having put a few hundred rounds through my XDM 9mm, I an extremely pleased with it. Haven't bought a good holster yet, but I need to find something for a lefty.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My BIL has one of those also. The trigger travel on those pistols is pretty long, but the pull is what makes them hard to shoot.

I'm new to the handgun market, buy having put a few hundred rounds through my XDM 9mm, I an extremely pleased with it. Haven't bought a good holster yet, but I need to find something for a lefty.

IWB carry? Crossbreed is awesome. Minotaur, Kholster, and others with this type of design spread the weight out over a larger area and the gun disappears.
OWB? FIST, Milt Sparks, Desantis, etc... You just gotta decide how you like it to ride. I prefer mine to ride high with a slight forward cant on OWB rigs. Makes it easier to conceal for my fat ass. lol

saddlepants

central Ohio
Back when I took my CCW I went to a Gun store/ range/ class. It was way more expensive BUT they also wanted to sell , meaning they laid out a buffet of guns to try out during the class and that was IMO the way to go. After that then you have to really look hard at the way you dress in all seasons. Your style of carry has to fit your lifestyle which thus will affect what you can or cannot carry. Then its all in what your comfortable with. I choose to carry a .38 revolver that has a transfer bar. Its bulky and a pain to conceal on my small frame body and with tighter clothes but ultimatly the exchange is the fact that with the mounted shooting sport Im involved in I KNOW I can be fast and accurate with all the confidence and muscle memory to operate it in a situation. With my eyes closed (so to speak). The transfer bar makes it safer. That said I also feel your choice depends on what you can be tho most confident and accurate with under duress.... you wont have time to think about your weapon and want it to be as comfortable as your fork in a piece of cake. All that takes it back to being glad I went to take my CCW where I could try out a bunch of different styles.