Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arkansas trip 2011

Derek j

Knox Co.
Just got home this morning at 2am from Arkansas. This was my first time going, and I will definitely be back. My group is going to make it an annual trip for us. We arrived at the guides lodge around noon on Monday, and hunted Tuesday and Wednesday. Being a waterfowl junkie will never be the same in Ohio. I don't even feel like getting out of bed to hunt here now. The first day was filled with lots of birds, and great action. Our party shot 48 birds, with the guides shooting a couple for good measure. We split up in groups of 3 plus the guide. My group shot 23, with some of the greatest green wing teal I have ever seen. I kept the best one for a mount, and proceeded to fill our day with mallards, gadwall, teal, and spoonies. A great time was had by all for day one.
uploadfromtaptalk1325180313911.jpg

The second day was another beautiful day, but we had no wind to speak of, and the birds could fly 60 yards high and see everything, so the shooting was slow. My group was only able to kill 10 ducks and 1 Ross goose. We did giggle like little school girls when a group of 7 coots decided to swim to our decoys. It was the greatest ambush I have ever been a part of!!
uploadfromtaptalk1325180589723.jpg
This is my normal hunting buddy and his son. For the 2 days we were there, we shot 60 ducks, 1 goose, and 7 coots. I also have some video of all the snow geese that are there. I bet there are 500,000+ there right now. There are another 50,000+ specklebellys also. We had an absolute fantastic time, even though they are having a bad season there TOO. We will definitely make this an annual trip from now on.
uploadfromtaptalk1325180935770.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang! Looks like you guys had a great time down there! One of these days I'll go there myself... It's definitely one of those trips that's on my bucket list.

Derek j

Knox Co.
All I can say is this.....dont go down unless our season in Ohio is almost over. We got back into town on the 29th, and could have hunted the last 3 days of the season. After seeing and shooting the birds that we did, it isnt even worth getting up in the morning to shoot 1 duck in ohio. Dont get me wrong, I am a waterfowl junkie to the end, and will continue to chase ducks all over this state.......but it will be hard to do it knowing what they have down there in Akansas!!

matt hougan

Dayton area
All I can say is this.....dont go down unless our season in Ohio is almost over. We got back into town on the 29th, and could have hunted the last 3 days of the season. After seeing and shooting the birds that we did, it isnt even worth getting up in the morning to shoot 1 duck in ohio. Dont get me wrong, I am a waterfowl junkie to the end, and will continue to chase ducks all over this state.......but it will be hard to do it knowing what they have down there in Akansas!!

Exactly, my goal is to gear up for two timber hunts a year. I'd rather hunt 6 days down there than 60 days in Ohio. Hunting rice is fun, Lord knows we have shot piles. For me I am on a quest to learn how to hunt the woods.

Last edited: