Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

AK-47 for coyotes?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm considering the purchase of an AK, for hunting coyotes.

* Does anyone use an AK for coyotes?
* Why did you choose this weapon, for coyotes?
* What are the pros and cons to hunting with an AK?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Accuracy would be my only concern. They are super reliable but not very accurate. You can get a far more accurate bolt gun for the money you would spend on a AK.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i would be worried about ricochet unless your reloading. I'm going with Barnes Varmit gernade bullets this year

Milo,
You make a valid point, sir. A .30 caliber bullet, out of an AK, would be something that may not have enough ballistic speed for good fragmentation. This AK idea is starting to fade as a practical weapon....especially around here, where it's flatter than a road killed squirrel. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Depends on the AK also. CIA slap together...mediocre accuracy. My converted saiga will do 2" at 100 all day with Tula ammo.

The main reason I won't use one is weight. For the same weight I can bring a bull barrel bolt gun. I suck at spray and pray...

Now the fun factor is a different story. Lol

arjay

S.E. Ohio
I have a norinco MAK-90 and it is really a fairly accurate gun up to about 150 yards its not a bolt action gun with a heavy bull barrel but its more than capable of getting the job done. Plus hunting with a 30 round mag is always fun!!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Milo,
You make a valid point, sir. A .30 caliber bullet, out of an AK, would be something that may not have enough ballistic speed for good fragmentation. This AK idea is starting to fade as a practical weapon....especially around here, where it's flatter than a road killed squirrel. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

Still woulden't hurt to have one around...

arjay said:
Plus hunting with a 30 round mag is always fun!!!
It is and there's some confidence with knowing you have plenty of ammo and/or second chances. When I had my AR I took an 80 yard shot at a coyote that was trotting, missed and he kicked the jets on high. Missed the next 7 rounds, but number 9 flipped him end over end...at 160+ yards. Even so, I blood trail tracked him for 200 yards, till I ran out of light and never found him.

I sold my AR, purchased my Stevens .25-06 and have no regrets. The knock down power of the quarter bore is outstanding.

Bowhunter57

Milo

Tatonka guide.
what bullet did you hit that yote with? I know for a fact no critter will survive from a a SX..stuff goes boom or turns to jelly right after entry even on a hind leg hit...

Milo said:
what bullet did you hit that yote with?
Milo,
I was using Winchester (white box) ammo with 45gr. JHP bullets. Which was part of the problem...I should've reloaded some 55gr. V-Max bullets, for coyotes. The 45gr. JHP bullets did a great job on groundhogs, but coyotes are a much tougher critter.

I'm reloading a Nosler 87gr. Ballistic Tip, in my .25-06, at 3300 f.p.s. and it is plain evil on varmints. :smiley_asswhip:
Here's a fall g-hog that weighed about 12 lbs. He was hit on the left front shoulder...the other side is missing, along with what was inside. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i have experienced the opposite..I hit one at 80 yards with my 17 hmr and it dropped like a sack of potatoes. have you experimented much with different bullets? Youtube these varmit gernade bullets...i am liking what I am seeing. I will have a few hundred rounds of these done up this winter to get ready for coyotes and chucks.