Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

quick fletch

brianridesbikes

did some searches and couldn't find much, but was curious if anyone had any experience with quick fletch heat shrink vanes... I kill a lot of vanes and getting a fletching jig seems tedious. These have me wondering.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
This would be a quick fix. As far s quality I can not say as I have never used them. You might be surprised but in the long run you would be better off getting a jig and fletching your own arrows. I am not saying this is something you need to do right away as I am sure your learning curve is rather steep right now, but if you are going to be into archery seriously and for the long run doing your own fletchings would be the way to go.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have friends that use them and love them. Others seem to think they are not quite as nice as a true fletching in regards to accuracy. I just broke down and bought a fletching jig for myself. In the long run, I think I will be money ahead. Milo or some of the more experienced guys on here can probably give some better advice than me.

brianridesbikes

My main concern for the moment, taking my learning curve into consideration, is that I keep ripping fletchings... Im not sure if this is the result of hitting them with other arrows or possibly the whisker biscuit. Im sure as I get better, and with a nicer practice target, ill stop damaging arrows, but a quick fix would be nice until I can afford a jig and more parts.

brianridesbikes

As far as I'm understanding, the fletching jig to the archer is the same as a fly tying vise for the fly fisherman... I know it's something I will eventually bury myself into, and the art behind it will probably lead to just as much enjoyment as learning to use my bow.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
My main concern for the moment, taking my learning curve into consideration, is that I keep ripping fletchings... Im not sure if this is the result of hitting them with other arrows or possibly the whisker biscuit. Im sure as I get better, and with a nicer practice target, ill stop damaging arrows, but a quick fix would be nice until I can afford a jig and more parts.

Something I do: Is to shoot at different dots each time as to keep space between the arrows....Thus reducing damage to arrows from arrows.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll say that the vanes on your arrows (based on the picture you posted of your bow) are probably among the worst for shooting through a WB. I've been down that road and made the switch to Blazers to fix that issue. If you are shooting solid groups, stop shooting at the same dot and mix things up. If I shoot the same dot, you can bet I'll ruin an arrow or two. As for the shrink style vanes, I've never used them. I have a Bitzenburger jig and fletch my own arrows. IMO, it is among the best purchases I have ever made and the learning curve is really no different than learning to do the shrink styles right...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For me, the biggest benefit in fletching my own arrows is the satisfaction it rewards me in creating something that is "my own." There's an aspect of customization there that just can't be achieved with the quickfletch-type of vanes. I'm right at home with a Bitz jig, glue, fletchings, arrow shafts, and a cold beer sitting in front of me... It may sound stupid to some, but for me it's just flat out enjoyable. Tedious?... Not the least bit.

It's like anything else... When you do it yourself, it means much more to you. Sure, I could pay someone to work on my truck, or repair the furnace in my house, or fletch my arrows for me, or go the easy route and use the quickfletch stuff... But I would get absolutely no satisfaction in doing so. I've got nothing against the quickfletch vanes. If you're looking for something easy and fast, then by all means go for it. To each his own. I'm sure the quickfletch vanes are just as effective as standard individual fletchings. Oh and Jesse is dead-on about switching to Blazers for shooting through a WB. Predator vanes work really well for that application also.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For me, the biggest benefit in fletching my own arrows is the satisfaction it rewards me in creating something that is "my own." There's an aspect of customization there that just can't be achieved with the quickfletch-type of vanes. I'm right at home with a Bitz jig, glue, fletchings, arrow shafts, and a cold beer sitting in front of me... It may sound stupid to some, but for me it's just flat out enjoyable. Tedious?... Not the least bit.

It's like anything else... When you do it yourself, it means much more to you. Sure, I could pay someone to work on my truck, or repair the furnace in my house, or fletch my arrows for me, or go the easy route and use the quickfletch stuff... But I would get absolutely no satisfaction in doing so. I've got nothing against the quickfletch vanes. If you're looking for something easy and fast, then by all means go for it. To each his own. I'm sure the quickfletch vanes are just as effective as standard individual fletchings. Oh and Jesse is dead-on about switching to Blazers for shooting through a WB. Predator vanes work really well for that application also.

Same here dude. I love building arrows. Turn on a football/baseball game, grab a beer and go to work. In a good hours time, I can customize a dozen arrows to my liking. I build 10+ dozen sets a year and always enjoy it...

Ditto on the Predators TOO.

brianridesbikes

purely for the sake of having shootable arrows I got myself a handful of the quick fletch vanes just to see how they work. luckily a pack of 6 really isn't that expensive so i'll give it a go untill these are done. Will give me a chance to do some research on vanes and jigs while still allowing me to get some target practice in. Ill post how i feel they do compared to the ones that came on the arrows I have.

brianridesbikes

So far have pretty decent results... seems they are more accurate at <=20 yards than my previous vanes... unfortunately I wont have 20+ practice for a couple days. One benefit is that if you goober a shot and the vane pops off its really easy to put a new one on. ;)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A buddy of mine has been using them for a couple of years, he loves 'em. I tried my first batch of them this year, I love 'em. I have been making my own arrows for 25+ years, and honestly just don't enjoy it anymore. I just want to shoot em. Having said that, I got yet another Bitzenberger for Christmas...guess I'll be fletching some more arrows.

They do fly well, and seem to be as good as any arrows I've ever made...and they are quick!

brianridesbikes

after another hour long practice round I can say im impressed. Though I dont have a whole lot to compare them to, and some have said my previous vanes were not ideal, they shoot straighter and faster than they did before. I dont know if this is only because i have a substantially shorter vane or the vane design itself, but after an hour and a half of shooting my groups are significantly tighter at closer range. ....still to be determined at longer range.

jeep345

ohio
Outer limits have a new quick fletch. Its a one piece molded design with external glue ports. Seneca Archery and camping supply is waiting for their shipment. They will sell for around $16.00.