Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pest Control bail out

Schu72

Streetsboro
So it’s late Christmas morning and the phone rings. The wife picks it up and I can tell it’s my neighbor. I catch bits of the conversation…my wife offering to borrow some live traps from her brother and so on. After she hands up she fills me in on the conversation. It appears my neighbors have a coon on the back patio and it won’t leave. They just didn’t want our dog to get in a scrap with what appeared to be a sick coon. I would have volunteered my services but, my neighbors had already called animal control and the local PD. A few minutes later they call back to say that animal control is on the way. A little time goes by and I kind of forget about the situation next door when the phone rings again. This time I answer. It’s my neighbor’s wife. She says “Scott do you have a gun at your house?” I reply, “sure… what’s going on?” She tells me that animal control showed up without a gun and the coon is now up a tree about 10 yards from the patio. Her husband tried shooting it with an air rifle with no effect. “OK, I‘ll be over in a few minutes.” I grab a few 20 ga. shells and a hand full of .22 rounds, get the Ruger 10/22 and the Beretta 20 ga., throw on my boots and head over. AS I’m coming around the house the animal control agent is there and says “Ahhh that long rifle should so the trick. I thought this area was more residential so I only had my .22 short pistol in the truck.” I just kept my mouth shut and headed around back. My neighbor was there and asked if I was comfortable shooting the coon and I gave him a “no worries”. It was a very large coon in a small maple about 25 feet up the tree. One crack of the Ruger and he was in a freefall. I’m not sure what he charged my neighbor, but at least I didn’t have to bury the coon.

Hunter II

This past summer my neighbor across the street borrowed my live trap to catch the coons that were raiding his bird feeders. When he caught one he would slide a shovel through the handle on top of the trap and bring it over and place it next to my garage. I would come home from work, grab my kids pellet rifle do the deed, pour the coon into a trash bag and then take the trap and coon back over to my neighbors. I ended up killing 7 or 8 for him. He bought me a case of hand warmers as a thank you.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I should add, the pellets you played with as a kid have come a long way also. I have some that out of a 1400fps air rifle will punch a hole in a car fender.

Huckleberry Finn

FYI We kill coons with a air rifle all the time. I take it you have not played with some of the new air rifles.lol

Nope, I haven't. I stopped at a Powerline 888 or whatever the number is and it was the fastest when it came out...still kills the retarded doves that crap on our cars every spring. Always used a .22 on coons.