Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Now I know how my Parents felt

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
In January of 1980 I joined the Air Force without telling my parents, went to Cleveland recruiting staion and di the physical and all the stuff I needed to do.... Had a date to leave and a job that I would be going to school for.... I was gone for a couple of days and I gave them a BS excuse about picking up a car with a buddy out of town..... Well when I got back I broke the news too them and they weren't happy but understood.... They felt I should of been more upfrong with them and inn hindsight I now agree....

Fast forward 31 years later, I took my son up too Niles Ohio yesterday and he left for Cleveland for his final swearing in and leve for basic training @ Lackland AFB San Antonio Tx..... My daughter was home for Christmas but had too leave last night too make it back to work this afternoon..... So we are officially an empty nest house for the first day.... Wife is a basket case, her two babies are gone and never too return :smiley_depressive: She is normally a very rationale person until it comes too the kids.... lol.....

So I've been texting my son as he rides the bus to basic training.... so far other then being nervous he said He's fine lol... the calm before the storm lmao..... Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the field in the near future :smiley_clap:

So the third generation of my family is officially in the Military..... :pickle:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Very proud of him we both are..... The wife has made the kids her life and it's just an adjustment that should take oh maybe a year or so rotflmao She has always put the kids before herself and with me deployed a lot she was the single parent for a while.... She did an outstanding job and I couldn't be more happier with what she has accomplished with both our children.....

Oh and Greg I will.... Thanks.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tell your son thanks for his service! Also tell him nothing to be nervous about. . . It is Airforce Basic right? Should be like a weekend of golfing with his buddies. lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for sharing J! It has to be tough though for both of you seeing your kids head out on their own. It will/would be tough for me when my time comes, that's for sure! Thanks to all sons and daughters who enlist for our countries freedoms and may your son have a great military experience and return home safely to you and your wife.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ric I read a lot about what you guys post about being with your kids and all the fun stuff and I think back and can relate.... I've had a lot of good times with the kids when they were playing sports but my favorite times were fishing and being outdoors.... both my kids are hardcore fishermen and my son loves rabbit hunting and deers hunts although bass fishing is his favorite...
We've had a lot of quality time on the boat with both my kids....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
All I can say is you must have raised him right!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like you've raised your children to have a level head, congratulations! So many kids today have no direction, or plan for life. Good parenting makes a difference!

BTW, I get sick to my stomach when I think that my 14 yr old daughter is only 4 years from HS graduation...can't imagine the empty nest pains.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like you've raised your children to have a level head, congratulations! So many kids today have no direction, or plan for life. Good parenting makes a difference!

BTW, I get sick to my stomach when I think that my 14 yr old daughter is only 4 years from HS graduation...can't imagine the empty nest pains.

Ditto for me Brock. I have two girls(12&14) and the thought of the next 6 years has me petrified! Dating,driving,spring breaks,parties, college/careers...... Shit! I ain't ready!:smiley_confused_vra

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
basic training was cake, I actually heard they added a bunch of cool stuff to it now. like you get to do the fighting, and the the gladiator games, sounds more fun then when I went in. Plus they changed the confidence course up alot.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
basic training was cake, I actually heard they added a bunch of cool stuff to it now. like you get to do the fighting, and the the gladiator games, sounds more fun then when I went in. Plus they changed the confidence course up alot.

Yeah, they added 7 more days too it for what they call warrior week.... Week long war games that they seem too mostly like....