Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Black Powder Geese

matt hougan

Dayton area
In 1995 my wife bought me a Pedersoli 10 ga. SXS as a college graduation present. I messed with it some but never really had much luck getting good patterns out of it.

I have recently been inspired to drag that thing out of the closet and give it another go. I will be traveling north for an all black powder weekend next week. On Saturday I will be hunting geese with a bunch of friends and I have decided to go black powder. (100gr ff Goex with 1 1/2" BB's) I have also decided that when I return to Arkansas next December I will be carrying my Pedersoli. Yesterday I bought a really nice leather and juit sling, some steel BB shot, a tin of musket caps, and a bag of 10ga shot cups.

Then on Sunday and Monday I think I'll try to fill my lone remaining deer tag and then take down my tree stand. I have to get my .45 inline sighted in and ready to go.

Hopefully there will be lots of blue stinky smoke blowing in the Ohio breeze next weekend.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's awesome, Matt. I can honestly say that I don't know anyone who has gone waterfowl hunting with a black powder gun. I hope you are successful... At least then I could say that I know one person that does it. :)

matt hougan

Dayton area
A few of the Black Powder collection.

The first is the .45 my Dad built for me when I was in high school. There are only 12 of these rifles in existance and is my dads original design. I am thinking about making another one. This one has killed several deer and with any luck it will be back in the killing business on the 9th. Its a great gun, and I'm darn proud to own one.

Here is the Persoli 10 my wife bought for me back in 1995. SXS 10 ga with chrome lined barels and removable chokes. I have IC chokes in both barrels now for shooting decoying geese with steel shot.

I still need to sight in the rifle before deer season, but I have had a great time cleaning both guns and preparing all the really cool accessories. UPS is bringing me all kinds of goodies as well.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Yesterday was pretty slow. I was invited to hunt with some friends today and things went much better. Had 30 or so mallards work us eventually landing wide. They swam toward us. I stood up and the ducks flushed. The right barrel roared and I dropped a hen mallard. As I pulles the left trigger my buddies joined so I dont know who dropped the second or third bird. Doesnt matter I have a confirmed kill with my muzzle loader. The Super X2 may be retired for the remainder of the season.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Just awesome. As I looked at your photos I couldn't help but think. Why do the ladies like gold jewelry. Love your decorated lanyard. My most prized posession on mine is my Jack Miner.

I have one Miner band on that lanyard hidden from veiw behind the mallard. It was given to me by a friend after a spectacular hunt. We were hunting geese standing in a hard bottom marsh. We were covered with extremely close encounters with hundreds of mallards, blacks and wigeon, some as close as 10'. It was an awesome spectacle. The other bands fell before my scatter gun. There are no Ebay bandas on my lanyard. When, I shoot a banded mallard in the woods of NE Arkansas will strip down naked and run down Main st.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have one Miner band on that lanyard hidden from veiw behind the mallard. It was given to me by a friend after a spectacular hunt. We were hunting geese standing in a hard bottom marsh. We were covered with extremely close encounters with hundreds of mallards, blacks and wigeon, some as close as 10'. It was an awesome spectacle. The other bands fell before my scatter gun. There are no Ebay bandas on my lanyard. When, I shoot a banded mallard in the woods of NE Arkansas will strip down naked and run down Main st.

I've been waterfowling seriously for 13 years now and I don't have a single band to show for it. My buddies hunting all around me have plenty of bands here and there, but none for me... I'm starting to think I'm cursed. I'm gonna have to do the 'naked runnin' down the street' thing when I get my first one. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been waterfowling seriously for 13 years now and I don't have a single band to show for it. My buddies hunting all around me have plenty of bands here and there, but none for me... I'm starting to think I'm cursed. I'm gonna have to do the 'naked runnin' down the street' thing when I get my first one. lmao

LOL! You should have seen those guys in Missouri last year when I busted that banded blue snow goose. Some of those guys had been there several times without seeing a band hit the dirt and I did it on the first day!!!

Congrats on the kill Matt!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
LOL! You should have seen those guys in Missouri last year when I busted that banded blue snow goose. Some of those guys had been there several times without seeing a band hit the dirt and I did it on the first day!!!

Congrats on the kill Matt!!!

Yea that's fugged up dude. That's almost as bad as the kid who drops a booner on their first-ever youth hunt! lmao

I got my Jack Minor in a odd fashion from a friend also. I have a good freind that I took on his first deer in 1974. A guy was supposed to take him and never picked him up on opening morning. I told him I would take him hunting on Saturday as I had to work all week. I pushed a doe right to him, the first deer he ever saw in the wild. Back then, you needed doe permits and he didn't have one so he had to let her walk. That encounter hooked him for life. I plan to hunt with him on Saturday. Anyway he told me the day he saw the doe that some day he would pay me back for taking the time to introduce him to hunting. On a December day in 2004 I got a call from him and he said he had somthing I might want. He had found a dead drake Mallard in his neighbors yard and it had a leg band. He told me it had a bible verse on it and I told him how special it was. He gave it to me and I sent the info and got the certificate, so cool. I have shot many banded birds, but this band means the most to me.