Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking about trapping?

saddlepants

central Ohio
Hey guys, I watched a trapping show yesterday and never really liked the idea but Im starting to think it could be something for me. Not having such good luck on the farm I have permission on for deer but its a good stretch of river that contains Muskrat, an occasional beaver and plenty of coon. How much does it cost to get started in a trap line. Then whats all involved...Im guessing skinning and selling the hides but I havent a clue on where to start with where to sell hides and how to prep them for sale, is there any money in it at all? I have a few sidearms for dispatching, I figured he was using a .22? what do traps run? I can go to swappers for some of that right? then there was bait and "dipping" the traps for scent? what else??

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There are a few guys on here that are pretty versed in the trapping game that I'm sure can lend some insight on all this. I've listened over the years to the trappers, but I need another hobby like I need a hole in the head. I may eventually run some snares, but trapping can be another expensive, all-consuming hobby that I don't need!!!

Good luck SP.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Build your trapping supply line to your target. If you are going to run a 1 farm line, you dont need much get started, a few #2 foot holds for K-9s, a few snares and if you have a water supply with rats maybe some 110s and 160s body traps and a few colony traps. Trapping a long line is a little more involved. My K-9 line is now 100% snares , my coon line is 100% DPs and my water line is mixed with 50% 110s and 50% colony.

Most of the videos make it look a lot harder then it has to be. I will tell you like I tell every person I have ever helped get started, Find someone close to you that will let you tag along for a day or two and see if its for you. Most of the time you can find trappers that will even loan you some traps to get started. If you already have a place to trap, find someone that will come and help you set it up for the first time.

As for selling fur, there is always a market. This depends on what you want to put into it. I myself have built up a market out side of the fur industry. I will still sell some on the fur market, but there is more money for most of your take in the private market. In Ohio you can keep fur after season as long as you let your GW know what you have. By doing this you have all spring and summer to Tan, Clean, and Mount what you have taken over the season.
A good example of this would be some of your color phase animals. If you run a black coon ar even a blonde coon thru the fur sale, a lot of the time you will very little for them if you dont have more then the one or two cus the buyer dont want to have to match colors with diffrent lots. Sell that same black or blonde coon on Taxidermy,net for 4 to 6 time the money. Another example is your coyotes. Sold thru the fur sale will bring $20 to $30 tops. I have buyers that pay $75 for the tanned hide, $40 for the cleaned skull and $1ea for toe nails. If you have one with a bullet hole in the skull, you pull the teeth and sell them for $4ea.

I just finished a tanned beaver that if sold on the fur market would have sold for $25. I tanned it, Put it on a grape vine ring, added a few Turkey feathers and sold it for $360.

There is a BIG market out there, you just have to find it.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Camofry - your in my territory - maybe you can show me some of it. Not interested in trapping Yotes, would rather call and shoot on those but dont have the gun for it...YET, lol. I was just thinking of working the Kokosing which runs thru the farm I hunt at the quarry. mostly rat and coon with an occasional beaver, I know the beaver are there they just dont spend much time up that far. I have met the other farmers along that stretch though and can ask permissions I suppose. I dont think they do any trapping ( just deer huntin).