Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tree Safety Reminder

Huckleberry Finn

I had an accident today and I wanted to share it with all of you as a reminder of the dangers that are involved in the sport that we pursue.

This morning I went out to move my tree stand and climbing sticks and did so successfully. Picked a nice tree and got everything cinched up and safely anchored. I'm not a pro but I did a good job...so I know that everything was tight, etc.

I returned a few hours later to hunt that stand. It was a routine hunt until I started to climb my ladder stand. I had my harness on, but of course was not tied onto anything as I went up the steps. When my feet hit 6 feet in the air, the mud on my rubber boots caused me to slip off of the steps. I have no idea what happened, all I know is that it happened quickly. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me since I have climbed that ladder many, many times this season and for a few weeks last season.

Whatever happened, I was unable to grab onto anything and fell on my back directly below the stand. I could not breathe and was choking. I found my phone in my pocket and dialed my father several times. We were doing the 'missed call' and 'busy' thing and I realized that I could not stay in the position that I was in and gradually picked myself up and stood leaning on the tree. I could breathe and reached my dad and explained to him what happened that I was ok, but freaking out and not sure of my injuries.

Dad met me at the edge of the woods and I walked out on my own power and drove my truck around the block. After dinner we went to the emergency room and after a full set of back x-rays, the doctor determined that I did not break any ribs, although there's a ton of bruising, especially to one kidney (my piss is fine), but other than that, just my back is out of alignment and some evidence of muscle spasms. Everything is swollen up and bruising and its difficult to get around, but it's mostly just stiffness and pain. On some pain killers and muscle relaxers now and I'll be chiropractor bound in a few days.

I want to stress to you and admit that I made a mistake. My boots were muddy and slippery from the field walking in and I did not make take enough time to consciously climb my ladder safely. I had poor judgement. Though accidents happen, I made a mistake and it could have been a lot worse. I am very thankful for a Creator that looked over his son today and for my mother who prays for my daily. I messed up and am learning a lesson the hard way. Please take the time to climb your ladders safely, no matter how many times you have done it. If you had told me this morning that I was going to have a fall today, I would have thought that it would have been when I was hanging the sticks and stands, not a routine hunt.

I'm not much worse for the wear, other than a hurting and sore back, and thankful that things were not worse...I gave my parents a heck of a scare today and in those moments when I was on the ground, I was very afraid. But I know who was watching me and I know that He holds my life - and hopefully that will mean lots of safe and cautious hunting in the weeks and years to come.

Again, please be safe - you don't want to learn this lesson my way!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Scary stuff Huck! Glad you weren't more seriously injured. Never know what tomorrow brings, let alone the next minute. We take a lot of things for granted at times and it only takes a minute. I am just glad to hear you are here to tell us about it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad you're okay Steve man that stuff will scare the crap out of you..... I always make a concerted effort too always have both hands on the ladder ascending or descending my ladder stands.... Steve hope you feel better in the coming days......

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Hope your back to normal soon Huck.... Hate to hear all this but it TOO can be a warning to all of us to be overly-careful.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Glad to hear you are ok Steve. I've had my feet slip on the steps due to mud, and it is scary. I always make sure I have three points of contact when I am climbing, but if you are caught off guard, I'm not sure that would help.

Huckleberry Finn

Hope your back to normal soon Huck....

Pun intended?? lol

---

Greg - I know what you mean about 3 points of contact - it's killing me that after working on a farm for so many years and then working construction for 3 years, my fall and accident happened not off of a step ladder or climbing the side of a barn wall, but from a tree stand ladder. I have slipped on these steps before and over Thanksgiving when I moved my stand, I packed in a pair of work boots to do it in rather than my rubber boots. And, as always, when I was setting the sticks and stand this morning I was thinking 'damn, I wish I was mobile and agile like Greg..." haha

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang, Steve... I'm really glad you're alright buddy. That certainly could have been much worse. Thank you for sharing your experience, though. Sometimes we get in such a rush, or a routine, that we take for granted what we're actually doing... Unfortunately we often don't realize it until a near-fall or an actual fall sobers us up.

lung buster

hocking county
It sounds like it could of been a lot worse. I'm glad that your ok. Thanks for sharing your experience for a reminder. I hope that you heal up quickly so that you can get back out soon.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Pun intended?? lol

---

Greg - I know what you mean about 3 points of contact - it's killing me that after working on a farm for so many years and then working construction for 3 years, my fall and accident happened not off of a step ladder or climbing the side of a barn wall, but from a tree stand ladder. I have slipped on these steps before and over Thanksgiving when I moved my stand, I packed in a pair of work boots to do it in rather than my rubber boots. And, as always, when I was setting the sticks and stand this morning I was thinking 'damn, I wish I was mobile and agile like Greg..." haha

That's one benefit to being mobile, using a lineman's rope. Now I know they won't keep you from falling if you slip, but they should slow you down and you definitely won't be landing on your head or back of you do fall.

Get to feeling better buddy so you can get back out there.

I'm glad to hear that you were not seriously injured huck. I have been in a rush and have had a few slips that could have ended badly if I hadn't caught myself. when i hunt out of a ladder stand I use a vertical line tied to the stand and to the base of the tree. then with short peice of rope i tie the tether of my harness to the vertical line with a prusik knot.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I thought I felt the ground shake yesterday.....

Glad to hear you are going to be OK Steve. Do your climbing sticks have areas of traction on them or are they smooth? This story got me to thinking how easy it would be to slip sideways off the climbing sticks that I have because they are smooth metal tubing.

Rest up and get back out there.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Scary stuff, glad your ok (kind of) I bet it hurts. I learned Christmas morning that a tiny bit of frost and mud DONT MIX either. coulda been what you encountered. I was coming back in from feeding the horses and just casually walking over the bridge. even slower than normal while enjoying the morning. Hands in my pockets. My feet just flew out from under me and I landed flat on my back. It hurt and I cried but got up and worked it out and seemed ok. Not head hit but a bit of whiplash. Well its come back to haunt me now. The frost was so light you could only see it on the cars. I had no idea...but the mud on my shoes and on the bridge made it like grease! My whole left side of my back from the neck down is tight and sore and there is a bruise forming on my back. Gotta be safe as possible but sometimes things happen you just dont see ahead of time....thats what these posts are for I guess. I'll take a pain pill for ya huck and you for me...cheers!:smiley_blackeye:

I might add everyone else was still in bed, I coulda laid out there for awhile, I dont take my phone out just to feed...I used to