Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Predator Hunting Need Help

Hey guys I decided this year that I wanted to get into predator hunting. It's probably the only thing I've never put an effort into hunting. I just purchased a FoxPro Scorpion electronic call preloaded with 50 sounds. I also bought a mojo critter decoy. $475 all together. Now I need tips on calling. I understand setups and hunting the wind. I have a ton of great places to go. What I need is tips on how to call. I have about 6 different yote calls pre-programmed, some rabbit, mouse, crows distress calls. There are also 3 different fox calls. Overall it's a good array to start with until I download more. What I'm unsure of is how long to call and things such as starting a sit with coyote locating calls then go to distress calls or start with distress then move on to something else. And do the calling techniques vary on what time of day you hunt? Any info and tips would be greatly appreciated.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You will get a wide range of answers on this one. I have tried distress calls low, then off, if nothing then up a little louder. I have tried mixing up the distress calls. I have tried the locators. Honestly, the best luck I have had is with the different coyote vocals at night in the snow. Seems like with how territorial they can be and with them rutting, this has just been the best combo for us. That said, most guys I have talked to have said they don't have much luck with the coyote vocalizations. Maybe it depends on your area? Might depend on if they are getting educated by a bunch of other guys hunting them?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've gotten away from predator hunting in the past few years... But, like Phil, when I was into it I had the best luck with locator howls. A few years ago I worked a job on midnight shift, 3 days on and 4 days off. During the nights I didn't have to work, I was out all hours of the night coyote hunting in the snow. The distress calls didn't do much for me, but the locator howls and aggressive howls/barks generated a lot of responses.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just bought a caller as well. I'm thinking about setting the Benelli up to kill them this winter. I'm waiting for colder weather, but I plan on trying the coyote vocalizations over the distress calls. Most guys around here seem to prefer the howls/barks over the distress stuff...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just bought a caller as well. I'm thinking about setting the Benelli up to kill them this winter. I'm waiting for colder weather, but I plan on trying the coyote vocalizations over the distress calls. Most guys around here seem to prefer the howls/barks over the distress stuff...

A lot of guys are getting into the e-callers nowadays it seems, but from my own personal experience I've had better luck with the diaphram-style howl calls and the reed-style howl calls. I think having the ability to "customize" your calling on the fly is a major advantage. The newer Foxpro e-callers are very versatile and let you change calls quickly, but still not as fast as you can with a call in your hand.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Actually Jim, you CAN change the calls in the push of a button. It is quick and easy. The major advantage you gain with the e-caller is not being picked off for movement, not running out of breath, and the ability to diversify your calls so much. On the flipside, the mouth calls are hugely beneficial because you can put so much inflection into your calls they are unique with every breath. I think the yotes will start getting wise to a distress call that sounds exactly the same that plays over and over all winter. I think they will get wise to changing the calls up part way. With a mouth call, they can vary with each breath so much, they are always different or unique.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A lot of guys are getting into the e-callers nowadays it seems, but from my own personal experience I've had better luck with the diaphram-style howl calls and the reed-style howl calls. I think having the ability to "customize" your calling on the fly is a major advantage. The newer Foxpro e-callers are very versatile and let you change calls quickly, but still not as fast as you can with a call in your hand.

Actually Jim, you CAN change the calls in the push of a button. It is quick and easy. The major advantage you gain with the e-caller is not being picked off for movement, not running out of breath, and the ability to diversify your calls so much. On the flipside, the mouth calls are hugely beneficial because you can put so much inflection into your calls they are unique with every breath. I think the yotes will start getting wise to a distress call that sounds exactly the same that plays over and over all winter. I think they will get wise to changing the calls up part way. With a mouth call, they can vary with each breath so much, they are always different or unique.

I know what you're saying, Phil. But to me, even with it just being the press of a button, it's still not as quick of a change as with a mouth call. Maybe that split-second won't make any difference... I don't know. I guess with enough practice and preparation, one could run an e-caller much the same as someone running mouth calls. I've just never ran an e-caller enough to get that good with it. You're spot on about the versatility in mouth calls, though... Changing inflection and tone is the key... It's no different than calling ducks, or geese, or turkeys... If you sound monotonous you don't sound realistic. Thankfully, e-callers have come a LONG way over the past decade, becoming extremely realistic.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not arguing you Jim. Both effective, just different. One thing more difficult to change on the e-callers is the volume. Sure, one can turn the volume up and down, but not quite the same as varying the pitch, volume, and inflection with a mouth call. Whatever is on the pre-set sound is what is played over and over and over. . . Not saying it is not effective, just different. I think both have their places. Don't think I go into the field with my Foxpro and leave my mouth calls at home. It doesn't happen. Batteries dieing is the number one reason why you better not forget your mouth calls. lol

I took it out last night for the last couple hours of daylight and got blanked. I'm not expecting much because this is all a learning curve for me. My next purchase is gonna be a night lamp that goes on top of my .204 scope. I think I saw where Primos makes one for about $80. They claim it will lighten anything within 250yards. Anyone ever have any luck with these? I'm gonna start hitting the first hours of the morning and last hours of night in the meantime. I already have my honey holes picked out for night hunting so I'm staying away from those until I get that red lamp. Most of my properties I have are all mine. The only place I may run into a little competition is my sportsmans club.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Burning out a spot or educating them is going to happen much quicker with coyotes than deer. Start hunting it every night and morning and I would suspect your success rates will be small. Not sure how it works in southern Ohio though. When I was hunting there opening week of the deer season, I think you could hear coyotes darn near every night. Where I live, I have no doubt the coyotes run about every night. You just don't hear them as often and I don't think there are as many of them. . . yet.

In regards to lights, this is another thread in itself altogether. I am far from an expert, but I have bought a handful. After awhile, they are in every pocket and every truck door. lol If you buy one that does alright, you will want one that is a little better. If you get one that is a little better, you realize how not so alright the first one was. Next thing you know, you have 4-6 lights. lmao

Last edited:
I spoke with a good friend tonight who has competed in different divisions and has won divisions in the world coyote calling championships. A few years back he placed 3rd in the world and finished 1st in coyote howling. He used to have some type of sponsorship with foxpro for videos also. He said not to hunt at night because you educate the coyotes too quickly. He said I will get a lot more responses at night but fewer kills. He also told me to not blow out my spots this time of the year. He told me to hit it hard starting in mid Feb. and really hard in March. He lives in West Liberty, OH and is gonna try and come down for 2-3 days during early March and we're gonna hit it hard. He gave me some helpful hints on starting my stands ( what calls to use, how long, and how loud). I'll keep everyone posted on any successes.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I spoke with a good friend tonight who has competed in different divisions and has won divisions in the world coyote calling championships. A few years back he placed 3rd in the world and finished 1st in coyote howling. He used to have some type of sponsorship with foxpro for videos also. He said not to hunt at night because you educate the coyotes too quickly. He said I will get a lot more responses at night but fewer kills. He also told me to not blow out my spots this time of the year. He told me to hit it hard starting in mid Feb. and really hard in March. He lives in West Liberty, OH and is gonna try and come down for 2-3 days during early March and we're gonna hit it hard. He gave me some helpful hints on starting my stands ( what calls to use, how long, and how loud). I'll keep everyone posted on any successes.

Wow, that sounds like an amazing opportunity! I can't wait to hear about the things he teaches you. That's the first I've heard about not hunting them at night... Definitely interesting stuff.