Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What could this be??

Got One

My butcher found this in the backstraps of my buck. He said it looked to be an injury from at least a year ago the way the meat had grown around it. The hide had a 3 inch circle of hair missing above spine mid body. Nobody I showed it to can figure out what it could possibly be. It has a #30 stamped on 1 end with a small hole in the other end. Sorry for fuzzy pics I can't seem to focus any better.

Attachments

• blue thing 009 (Small).jpg
    blue thing 009 (Small).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 185
  • blue thing 014 (Small).jpg
    blue thing 014 (Small).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 157

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I was going to do the penny joke but figured I would let someone else have the glory.

I am still sticking with the base of a blow dart.

Got One

Im stumped thats why I asked. I was hoping someone would say hey that is a ---------. I think I'll take it to a gun shop and see what they think. The # 30 imprinted on it throws me because it,s so small.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Skenko Blue arrow pellet. I'd guess there is a guy in your neighborhood that takes airguns pretty serious but is rather lax on game laws.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Some of those airguns are not to be messed with. But the guy must not have thought much about if a 6.4gr projectile was going to do much damage.

Or the deer eat his garden/flowers and he wanted to scare it off?

epe

Lancaster
There are pcp air guns that will take down a deer, but not in .177. I am borrowing one of dads .22 pcp to use squirrel hunting.. Silent killer..

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Maybe a pro poacher. Could he have hit the spine of a big buck from a far distance with that and crippled him long enough to run up and put an arrow through him? That would be my guess. I'm sure there wouldn't be any noticable hole either