Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Want to learn Taxidermy

saddlepants

central Ohio
In a bad way. Have wanted to for many years but the schools are just so far away. Im interested in maybe an apprenticeship? Does anybody know of someone who could use some help...the girl close to me is really good and Ive talked to her but It seems she doesnt want to create competition for herself.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Our daughter is going up to PA in the spring for 7 weeks and then is going to work with a older gentleman from here next summer that is wanting to retire.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The best way is to help a GOOD taxidermist. Find one that has more work then they can handle. Even if you do some work for free just to learn.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I would save my money on the schools.(at first) There is so much to learn in taxidermy. For the price you will just scratch the surface in 7 weeks. As you have found out most taxidermist are alittle worried about showing someone that may be compitition. If you can find somebody to show you, Like camofrys daughters situation great take them up on it.

So if you are serious go here http://www.taxidermy.net/ start an account its free. READ,READ,and READ some more. When your tired of reading, guess what read some more.
Goto the suppliers page on the site order all the supply catalogs.(most are free) look at them get to know the supplies. Order RICK CARTERS A TO Z video from wasco. Probably the best video out there. I'm guessing you are going to start on deer. Get the stuff together to mount up a deer. Watch the video, jump in get your hands dirty. After you do a few you will decide if this is for you.

If it is, go here http://www.ohiotaxidermists.com/ join and take your best mount to the show if you want. Don't worry if yours is not the best there you are there to learn. The judge will tell you what you are doing wrong, and give you some very good advice.If you don't want to take a mount. Atleast, go and check out the seminars you will learn so much your brain will hurt. (To join and the show less than a $100). Its in Mansfield Ohio shoud be close to you.

Save your money for the classes after you get a general idea about taxidermy. Then take specialized classes. Your money will be better spent.

Hope this helps
Mike

Last edited:

saddlepants

central Ohio
. I'm guessing you are going to start on deer. HAHAAH what deer? If I had one I would , lol. After you do a few you will decide if this is for you. Oh its definatly my cup of tea, Ive wanted it for years, and Im not afraid of any of it, I field dress and butcher my own. Im very artistic and apreciate great work.

Awsome advise, thank you so much. I guess ive been told this before but have been nervous about all the supplies, tools and everything to just do it alone but I should. But at the same time I know I would be good at it and all my friends say the same. Thanks again. Mansfield in March is the
place to be

Ill give it a whirl