Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Releases

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
So what do you shoot? Right now I have two:

Scott Little Bitty Goose

Carter Just Cuz

I used to have the TRU Ball Pro Diamond but sold it because it didn't really serve a purpose. I hunt with the Scott and REALLY like it for a trigger/wrist strap release. I would like to hunt with my Carter but I don't like how loud it clicks when fired.

Any one have a Carter Chocolate Addiction or Stan SX2? Do they make a louder audible click?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a Stan Shootoff Quattro. I've shot a ton of releases as this has been my favorite for two years now. It does have a loud click, but I live with it because of the performance. No doubt in my mind it made me a better shot...

saddlepants

central Ohio
I have the Scott Little Goose. Its quiet. It fits me I have small wrist and hands but I have it on the last hole. plenty of room with gloves tho - dont like gloves but need em when its cold. Its a frigin hair trigger tho and I like it....once I get to remembering that its a hair trigger, lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hell, Huck I would give you my Carter if I didn't need the cash from its proceeds to get something new if I decide to go that route. Going to be hard to find something better than the Carter trigger wise. I would like something quieter so I could use it for hunting and target.

Shouldnt be that hard to make one. Maybe we should make a TOO crisp/light seared release with adjustable creep with a pad for the set/hammer piece to quiet it down.

TOO Sweet Releases
"Quiet, tuneable, killers"

I been using a Hot shot Tempest 3 finger for about 6months an love it..Its has single-screw adjustment for trigger travel and another for trigger tension.And multiple axis thumb post adjustment that allows for projection, tilt and distance adjustment which helps with a exact-fit to any hand size or shooting style.They use a Titanium-Diamond Nitride coating and hardening process that makes the parts stronger and has alot less friction than 440 Stainless Steel..Some release's have issues in extreme cold or heat(not that I use it in either) but this process is supposed to eliminate any issues like that..I set mine for the least amount of travel possible an pretty stiff.It does make some noise when cocking and when triggering..I didnt notice it much when someone else was shooting with it..Just when it is right by me ear.I used to just pull through the shot alone using my back muscles..Till i found the video below it opened up a whole new world for me..It takes a minute to get going but its worth watching IMO..

[video=youtube;0qkJ2oDZrRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qkJ2oDZrRI&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Huckleberry Finn

Hell, Huck I would give you my Carter if I didn't need the cash from its proceeds to get something new if I decide to go that route. Going to be hard to find something better than the Carter trigger wise. I would like something quieter so I could use it for hunting and target.

I have basic Tru-Ball one. I'd imagine that I'd like to stay with a wrist release but not sure. It's an upgrade for the summer though - wouldn't want to change with 3 weeks in my season left and the bow fund is empty anyways

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Been, I TOO shoot a Stan Shootoff, but really like the SX2. The click is loud when you are messing with the release and not shooting with it, but I can honestly say I never hear it when I shoot. I doubt there is any bow out there that is gonna be quieter than that release also. I do love the T-Handle releases, but sometimes I miss having a wrist strap on my release for hunting. I always felt like I could hold longer with it. I dunno...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I like my Stan Shootoff Trio. The only thing I need to do with it is put a string to attach it to my wrist so I don't drop it out of the stand lol. Always worry about doing that.

Like I told ya yesterday, I haven't had a deer jump the sound of the release yet lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've thought about it, just not sure how I wanna do it yet. I keep mine in my pocket so it stays warm and I don't drop it! lol

That's what I do with mine as well but a quick and easy to slip on adjustable wrist leash would be awesome. Might grab my digital camera and snag the strap off of it to put on my release lol.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That's what I do with mine as well but a quick and easy to slip on adjustable wrist leash would be awesome. Might grab my digital camera and snag the strap off of it to put on my release lol.

I think that would work just as good as anything I could come up with

I leave mine hanging on the loop..It does get pretty cold though..My hot shot came with a lanyard but it leaves a bit to be desired,so I dont use it much.I keep my hands warm in one of the hand muff things that goes around your waist..Sounds silly but works well an has a place for a hot hands hand warmer..And in reference to RC's comment the straps on the Wii controllers looks like it might work well

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I leave mine hanging on the loop..It does get pretty cold though..My hot shot came with a lanyard but it leaves a bit to be desired,so I dont use it much.I keep my hands warm in one of the hand muff things that goes around your waist..Sounds silly but works well an has a place for a hot hands hand warmer..And in reference to RC's comment the straps on the Wii controllers looks like it might work well

That would be the way to go TOO! You can cinch the strap up tight around your wrist so it won't go anywhere. :banana:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I also shoot a Stan Shootoff Quatro, beener. I'll be honest with you, it's the only handle release I've ever owned or shot, so I can't give you much of a comparison in regards to other releases. Greg and Jesse had nothing but good things to say about the Stan, so that's what I went with. I have absolutely no regrets. My previous release was a Scott caliper style. It was a damn good release, and lasted me ten years. That being said, I don't miss it one bit. I really like the handle-style release now.

I need to purchase another wrist release, for a back-up. My current wrist release is a TruBall Cyclone. I use it for 3D and hunting...great release.

I thought about taking a look at True Fire releases. I see them advertised a lot on the Sportsman and Outdoor channels.

Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
No real evidence here but I have had 2 straight bad releases from Tru-fire. One was a hunting release that I was using because I forgot my other. It wouldn't lock up on the string.

Another I was in Spot league and the damn thing would release on draw. It was one I bought because it was the last shoot and I left my release at home. It gave me a jerk in my shot something fierce after that and it took a lot of shooting to get past it.

Beentown...well, I suppose any archery product that can be purchased at Wally World is on the lower end of value. One of those, "you get what you pay for" deals. I'll have to stay with Gander, BP, Cabelas or my local archery pro shop.

Thank you, sir. Glad you made this point.

Bowhunter57

Stan Shoot Off Quattro for 3d and treestand hunting ONLY. I lost my first one while bear hunting in August and had to replace it.
Scott Sliverhorn for spot and stalk.
TRU Pro Diamond Extreme as a back up.
Scott lil Goose as a loner

Last edited: