Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting the boat back out?

The way the weather is going, it will be mid/late January for any ice...fishable ice. :smiley_depressive:

I sure miss the trolling action that I had all summer. I'm sure I'd have to change my tactics, but I may be getting the fishing "machine" back out...soon. Maybe I'll try some vertical jigging and see how it goes.

Anyone else considering getting their boat back out?

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck no not me! Lol. I've been praying for frigid temps but there's no sign of them yet. I've got hardwater fever bad... Just no ice to cool me down. All kidding aside, the water temps are pretty damn cold right now so it'd be a great time to "scout" for ice season. The fish won't have moved very far by the time early ice gets here. Find some good green weedbeds right now and they'll be dynamite through the ice.

JBrown,
You have a good point, sir. As soon as I'm able (been off work for surgery) I'd like to get back out to some of the places that I was trolling, this summer and see what the fishfinder picks up...before it freezes up.

I was out in my kayak on the 5th, and 8th. The water temps were in the mid 40s and most of the fish were on the bottom or very deep (18 to 23 feet).

Bowhunter57

tuffshot

The Crew
I have been wanting to get my boat out TOO.
Most of the reseviors are at winter level, the creeks and rivers are swollen due to all the rain and the smaller lakes that are accessable are muddy as hell.
Still it would be fun to wet a line.

Unless February shows us some colder temps, it's not looking good for any ice fishing this year. :smiley_depressive: The Weather Channel's website isn't showing any temps below freezing for the next 10 days...for my zip code.
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Lima+OH+45801

I'm going out scouting for ice or open water, today. Going to check out the local reservoirs and a few farm ponds, to see how thick/thin the ice may be or how open the water. I gotta get this kayak in the water or drill some holes, soon. :tantrum:

Bowhunter57

fatdad46

I went crappie fishing at Cowen lake a couple of weeks ago. The water was cold(38degrees) & muddy. I caught 1 small crappie vertical jigging. It was nice just to get outside.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My brother was able to get on some hard water in a marina along Lake Erie today... but the ice was only 3" in the thickest spots. With the mild temps coming up this week, I'm sure what little ice we have is gonna get sloppy. Fugg, I hate this weather.....

I hate this weather too...as it's not one way or the other, just straddling the fence. :smiley_boos: Not cold enough to freeze the ice enough to walk on and not warm enough to keep the lakes/ponds open so that a guy could get out on them with a boat. I guess I'll hang out at the local fishing/tackle shops and buy more lures and stuff. :smiley_blink:

I'll be interesting to see what happens with the temps in February. :smiley_chinrub: Last year the ice fishing was over by Feb. 20th.

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had a leftover Cabelas gift card from Christmas... So earlier, in an attempt to please the ice fishing gods, I bought a couple new ice rod/reel combos. :) It's usually a surefire way to guarantee no hard water. lmao