Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Space Heater Ideas??

saddlepants

central Ohio
Hey guys I have a small room in my garage that is for my exotic birds. I have to keep it heated to no less than 60 all winter. Its well insulated and designed just for this purpose with the original idea to install a furnace we have. That idea has been scrapped to to other pain in the butt issues but the space heater Ive been using all last year does a fine job and is really all it needs but here is the problem.....
When the power goes out even just for a second it shuts the heater off. Ive been lucky to catch it but I cant have this. If the power goes out for an extended time we have a generator so thats not an issue but I need some kind of small heater that will come BACK ON when the power comes back on......any suggestions? Here is the other thing, i have to be careful it doesnt contain Teflon parts that heat up....Teflon heated will kill the birds even in small amounts
I was wondering about those little oil filled radiator style space heaters?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Those would work for you SP. They are switched on so the switch would be in the on position when the power comes back on.

I am thinking of one of these styles.

untitled.jpg

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I actually have one of those that I use at my cabin, they dont work as well as you think. They do generate heat, but it needs to be well insulated for them to work really well. You know what I mean?, they dissipate heat, but not alot

epe

Lancaster
They work good. I use a couple of them at the house. They don't heat up fast, but they keep it up to temp. No filter, no flame, and have a thermostat.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Not a heater but I saw at home depot they sell a temperature alarm for $70. I believe you need to plug it into your home phone line and you can program it to call your cell. If you are away it could warn you if something happens to the heat.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I have an eden pure in the house but they are way too expensive for me right now @ Ohio sam.... dont have a home phone but the alarm ideas is good...if Im home. My biggest problem is sometimes we have a blip that will shut off the heater but not effect the clocks and such. So I wake up in the morning not knowing about the blip and dont go out to feed until midday...its quite cold after being off all night and half a day and I risk losing the birds. All these ideas are great but Im also having trouble finding out weather they contain Teflon...allot of them do and its not in the specs

saddlepants

central Ohio
woop, never mind, I just saw on my bird info sight on the Teflon that the oil filled are the ones because they dont have exposed elements therefore dont contain any PTFE so now its just weather or not they will really come back on If anybody here has one would they test it out for me or do you already know for sure?

Last edited:

epe

Lancaster
woop, never mind, I just saw on my bird info sight on the Teflon that the oil filled are the ones because they dont have exposed elements therefore dont contain any PTFE so now its just weather or not they will really come back on

If you get one of the cheaper non digital ones they will. They have a on off switch like some lamps do. I can test mine tonight if you want to make sure it does...

saddlepants

central Ohio
the cool thing about those is that if the power is out for a time they stay warm for awhile too...but they are slow to heat up when cold. I have generator and portable propane heater for that case