Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington 700 model rifle...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm thinking about buying one of these for a makeshift coyote gun until I can build an AR. Several calibers available around home in the $375-450 range. Anyone have experience with this line?

loose_is_fast

McClure
i have the 700 adl in 22-250 and love it.kills coyote ground hog and anything else you feel like shooting and it has no problem shooting moa.With the right scope you can reach way out there. I would suggest you get the bull barrel or the vtr which has the triangle barrel.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

I was with my buddy when he bought a .223 700 w/ bull barrel. Heavy gun but sweet and very accurate. Smooth, feels great in your hands. And of course I'm a remington guy so I love it for that

Jesse,
I used to own a .22-250 in BDL (delux model) and a .243 in ADL...both were very accurate rifles. I reload for all my rifles and handguns. These rifles were made in the mid to late 70s, so I can't speak for any quality issues that may have risen with Remington, since then.

I switched to Savage rifles and have never looked back. More affordable than some brands, more accurate than most other brands and I have yet to encounter any functional problems.

Other than brands... I'd suggest a caliber that will kill the coyotes with authority. Something in .22-250 or larger...in both power and caliber. Reloading will allow you a good bullet choice, for saving furs (if that's your interest) or dropping them in their tracks with no tracking/loss issues. I've owned a .22-250 and recently was going to purchase another coyote rifle with the caliber being a decision point. I opted for the power and went with a .25-06...love it. Nothing like the "Hammer of Thor", when you squeeze off a shot. :smiley_blink: There's no such thing as overkill...dead is dead.

Good luck with your choices!
Bowhunter57

At that price point (375-450) your going to get more for you money with a savage if your buying new. Better trigger finish and accuracy. When you look at spending 600+ dollars then a 700 would be my choice. Dont over look the marlin X7's

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the Remingtons as well, but I have to admit I went with the Savage Axis in stainless with a bull barrel 22-250. I am thinking $300-350 but I would have to look it up in my records. Might have been $400. This would put you with some extra cash to throw into the scope if you don't already have one laying around for it. I love the feel of mine in my hands. Just need to get it dialed in with the scope a bit more. Same goes for my 243. Really hoping I get that Caldwell Lead sled from Santa or else I am click click clicking on the Cabelas website on the night of the 25th. lol

Buckmaster

Portage
Look at is this way, It's $ 400 spent on a good rifle or $ 1,500 spent on a custom black gun that looks cool. The 700 will outshoot the AR15 anyday thus you would spend the extra $ 900 to look cool.

I like the Remingtons as well, but I have to admit I went with the Savage Axis in stainless with a bull barrel 22-250. I am thinking $300-350 but I would have to look it up in my records. Might have been $400. l

The stainless and bull barrel option was news to me..I might have to get me one now..Just found them for 331$ shipped+local FFL fees(25$ here) on budsgunshop.com..Not to jack Jesse's thread..But how much for a scope that wont break the bank?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Alot of great rifles for a good price now. The only 700 you are going to get into right now is the 770 series which I would run and not walk away from. I have heard TOO many issues to run the gamble myself. IMO the good guns in the price range include:

Marlin XS7/XL7
Howa 1500's
Savage Axis

I have one of each of the Marlin and Howa. If you are going to be around the Columbus area feel free to throw some down range to feel what you like. The Howa is a Varmint barrel and the XS7 is a standard variety. The Howa is a thing a beauty in terms of accuracy but it is heavy (bull barrel). The XS7 is almost as accurate in my hands but it is way lighter. I take the Howa out alost everytime now Yote hunting.

Also, the used racks are full right now. I would be stopping in twice a week at your favorite dealer to see what comes in. Don't be affraid to lowball them because they did the same thing to the guy bringing it in for some Christmas money.

Buckmaster said:
... or $ 1,500 spent on a custom black gun that looks cool. The 700 will outshoot the AR15 anyday thus you would spend the extra $ 900 to look cool.
Buckmaster,
Not entirely true. A good AR can be purchased in the mid $800s. My Rock River Arms A4 would shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards...with box ammo. I'm certain it would have been a one hole rifle, if I had reloaded for it.

Since this is going to be a primary weapon for coyotes, I would encourage the purchase of a caliber with more power than a .223.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I had to guess, I am not sure if Jesse is worried about holes in the pelts, but I am guessing not. lol

I need to get in the safe tonight and get my Dad's Christmas present out. Maybe I will pull out my Savage and verify the bull barrel. OMO has me scratching my head now. Maybe it didn't have it? Pretty sure it does though. In regards to OMO's "good scope" questions, the sky is the limit. Maybe another thread is in order, but I would rather have a $300 scope on a $100 gun than a $100 scope on a $300 gun. Spend as much as you can afford. Good optics are well worth the money spent on them. I have never once bought a scope and later said "Gee, I wish I bought the cheaper one." It is usually, "dang, wish I just spent the extra $75-125 the first time. Now I have a used scope I can't give away AND the cost of the original one I wanted."

Schu72

Streetsboro
If I had to guess, I am not sure if Jesse is worried about holes in the pelts, but I am guessing not. lol

I need to get in the safe tonight and get my Dad's Christmas present out. Maybe I will pull out my Savage and verify the bull barrel. OMO has me scratching my head now. Maybe it didn't have it? Pretty sure it does though. In regards to OMO's "good scope" questions, the sky is the limit. Maybe another thread is in order, but I would rather have a $300 scope on a $100 gun than a $100 scope on a $300 gun. Spend as much as you can afford. Good optics are well worth the money spent on them. I have never once bought a scope and later said "Gee, I wish I bought the cheaper one." It is usually, "dang, wish I just spent the extra $75-125 the first time. Now I have a used scope I can't give away AND the cost of the original one I wanted."

Great advise on the optics.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The only 700 you are going to get into right now is the 770 series which I would run and not walk away from...

Care to elaborate? So the ones in the classifieds are not really 700's? Here is the one I was planning on calling about...

Remington 700 ADL in .270 and fitted with scope bases. Hard wood stock. Shot once. $475.

Oh... I'm worried about holes in the pelt. I want as many as I can get!!! :smiley_clap:

Didnt mean to sound questioning of ya...I just hadn't heard of the axis being offered with those options till now..Like I said I looked it up an found them at budsgunshop so there out there..Looks like a awesome price for what ya end up with.I shoot the .223 model before they changed the name.And i was very impressed..Since I cant swing the gun AND good optics both might have to wait..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
My brother bushmaster with a 20 inch stainless barrel shots as good or better than anything in the safe. My rock river also shoots fine and has not been tweeked yet. I would stick with savage right now honestly. they are SOLID pieces and shoot better than most people can shoot them