Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many guys have turkey hunted with a Mossberg 835?

Buckmaster

Portage
I do just for turkey. Not much help since I've been shooting the same box of 3 1/2" turkey loads for the past 10 years. Usually one shot per year is all that gun sees.

Buckmaster

Portage
I bought modified up to super full for lead shot as well as steel shot. I also have a super extended turkey choke. My best success is with 3 1/2" #6 for turkeys. Patterns well to 50-60 yards but I hold all kill shots to 25 or less.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I always shot 3.5" federal lead 5's out of mine out of a factory full choke. Killed em dead but every gun shoots different . I know it wasn't fun to pattern . I have been shooting Winchester3.5" HD 5's out of my Beretta the last 3 yrs and it does well too with the factory full.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I started shooting the HeviShot 5's last year and they are fuggin DEVASTATING. At 20 yds, the pattern is so tight it may just decapitate a turk. Killed at jake at about 50 yds... the bird never even flopped. I know they're expensive shells, but look for mail in rebates and they are bareable... Definitely worth a try, IMO.

lung buster

hocking county
I started shooting the HeviShot 5's last year and they are fuggin DEVASTATING. At 20 yds, the pattern is so tight it may just decapitate a turk. Killed at jake at about 50 yds... the bird never even flopped. I know they're expensive shells, but look for mail in rebates and they are bareable... Definitely worth a try, IMO.
Although I don't have a Mossberg, ill second giving hevi-shot 5's a try. I shot one a couple seasons ago at 10 yds and there wasn't much holding his neck on. The furthest I've killed one was at 67 yds. It just fell over.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I use a Mossberg 500 with a Jelly Head choke and Shoot the Remington Premier Duplex loads. They are a load of 4s and 6s in the same shell.
raturkey_030111f.jpg

Knocks em deader than hell. Granted he was shot at like 10 feet, but I cut his neck open to see the damage, jelly

Shot.jpg