Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Mount

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Just received my 2010 deer mount and I'm pretty pleased in how it turned out.

16pt. Non-Typical @ 40yrds.
19" Inside Spread
Dressed Out: 230lbs.
Net Score: 174 2/8
Taken: 10/24/10 6:40pm

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Great buck, who was your taxi? Is there a story of the hunt for this dandy?

Thank you all for your nice comments on my buck.

16pt Ohio Bruiser short story...
The area had several new fresh large rubs (6-8” in diameter trees) and scrapes (6 total) from my previous hunt two weeks prior. Approximately five minutes before sunset, I heard him rubbing on some trees on the way down the bean field hedge. As he reached his large scrape (25 yrds. away), he proceeded to step out into the bean field, which was my best window, right at my 40yrd marker. I busted him as he stood perfectly broadside, “through and through”. He ran another 40yrds into the bean field and crashed. I knew he was big, but I wasn’t sure just how big until I recovered him. Wow!!! As you can imagine when I pulled out the bean plants from his rack and the rest is history.

North American Taxidermy Studios in Carroll, more specifically, Tom Moore is the person that did the work. Since 2007, Tom has done all of my taxidermy work. He’s currently working on my 55lb. male coyote that I killed with my compound bow and my 2011 9pt 140 class buck. I decided to have the coyote done for a few reasons, he’s my first coyote bow kill; he’s huge with a gorgeous coat and the memory of that day deer hunting (he was stalking a mature doe alone). It will be a full body mount and rest assured, I will share with all of you when I get him back.

My 2011 buck has a thick, tall and wide beautiful rack, but to me the coolest thing about him is his front right hoof; it’s pearl white. He too will be a shoulder mount much like this 2010 buck with the hook hoofs.

I’m usually done with my season by gun season but not this year. I was hoping to be done by then but it just didn’t work out that way this year. The 2011 buck was behind my house the night before the neighboring park hunt the very next morning. I get an annual invite to hunt Slate Run Metro Park being a neighbor and all. I don’t always participate because I prefer to bow hunt and the park doesn’t offer archery. Anyhow, the 2011 buck stayed bedded 99% of the day within a 100yrds of me but that 1% came just before quitting time and that’s all I needed. He came straight to me like on a string. I was cold, wet and it was still raining. I was at the end of the funnel and I didn’t want to track this deer if I could help it, so as he continued to walk straight at me, I shot him at 25 yards to the head. He folded where he stood. Time was the biggest factor in taking that kind of shot and I was most confident that I could get it done. If I wasn’t confident in my weapon or my abilities, I never would have taken such a low percentage shot. Being a bow hunter primarily, having a gun in my hand hunting almost feels like cheating.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have seen the top picture with you and the deer somewhere, but I don't remember where.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats on a great 2011 buck and an pig of a yote! I hope your taxi can hide your slug hole for ya. That would be a challenge I'd think. Great shot anyway and like you said, no tracking that buck.lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome recants of the hunts! Thanks for sharing and a huge congratulations goes out to you!