Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Should guns be sold online? Why or why

Investigation: Illegal Gun Buyers Have an Easy Time Online
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/16/investigation-illegal-gun-buyers-have-an-easy-time-online/

In a probe of illegal online firearm sales conducted by the City of New York, undercover investigators found that 62% of private gun sellers they interacted with were willing to sell guns to a buyer who said he could not pass a background check.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/16...uyers-have-an-easy-time-online/#ixzz1h87guj3p

What are your thoughts?

gumbygold

Central Ohio
I think you are confusing the issue. It is about private party sales, regardless of whether contact was made via internet, phone or any other means.

If you ask the buyer if they are legal to purchase the gun in question and you receive "no" as the response and sell anyway, you are guilty.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My thoughts...check the source. If you give any creedence to investigations provided by the City of New York and Bloomberg then you don't know the politics of the matter.

tuffshot

The Crew
I would rank an internet seller right up there with a trunk load seller.
With the market of today even guns have foreign parts in them other than their origional manufactured parts.
Seconds and rebuilt used are flooding the market. One whould have to wonder how these guys get the guns to sell in the first place.

i think if your gonna give a guy a shady deal , you will do it no matter where you sell the gun . and if you cant buy one with in the law , you will find a way to do it also .

tuff , i had a friend that used to go to the gun shows all the time . swappers day was like christmas to him . word was that george would buy used guns . guys would flock to him sellin there guns . because word got out , that he bought guns . weather it was to pay a bill or buy a drink . george always had what you needed , it seemed . he was a good man and seemed to do things as right as he could . i guess what im trying to say is . get the word out , they will come .

tuffshot

The Crew
Beentown, Hoot,

I am not say all are not reputable but there are some that are pretty shady.
I have found flaws at gun shows. And internal parts are the biggest issues.
Guess I am too sceptical anymore.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The same laws apply to online sale as any other gun sale. If you both are from Ohio a dealer doesn't need to be involved and no background check is needed. It is interstate it must go through an FFL.

I could see where Dealers might get hit with a future regulation, on internet sales. However, I can NOT see nor do I have the ability to do a background check on anyone that I might sell a firearm.

There are "loop holes" in any system. People are already getting legal friends to purchase firearms, then paying them cash for the purchase...that they can not make. Illegal? Yep! It still happens.

Also...and a lot of people don't know this, but... If you're a felon, you can petition the state to have your firearm rights reinstated. Depending on the type of crime you were charged with (non-violent), some people get their rights reinstated. A hunting buddy of mine's son, went through this same process.

Bowhunter57