Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I need some help!

hunna771

Hi, i'm swantucky(randy)'s son, hunter... most of you either know me or know my dad haha. This is my first post on here and i have a few Traditional archery questions.

I've been shooting an Ancient Spirits longbow, 43# at 28" with 3555 Gold Tip XT Hunters with 100 grain broadheads.

I asked for a new take-down recurve for christmas(i saw Fedex drop it off and my dad hide it so i'm getting it! haha:smiley_bril:). Its my second recurve, my first being a ben pearson colt(40# at 28") that i bought at a garage sale for $20.

The bow i'm getting for christmas is a Samick Sports Sage Take- Down Recurve. I got it off of 3 rivers for $125. Its 50# at 28". I'm going/wanting to start shooting 125 grain broaheads. I bought a dozen shats from cabelas for $40 and their 5575. I bought fletchings for them too(shieldcut).

What my question is, is will the 5 pound difference from 50 to 55 in the shafts make the arrow not fly straight or true? 125 grain broadheads, 50 lb. draw weight.

Thanks a ton!! :smiley_bril::D:D

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hey hunter...you may have to cut them longer to break the spine down on them as they are stiffer arrahs. Your older arrahs would prolly worked.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, what Milo said. You may be ok depending on your draw length. I think you have your Dad's ape-like arms, so you may have enough length now to shoot the heavier shaft. Geezer made me some up (I think they are the same shafting) to shoot out of my 50lber...they fly like darts. If you think you are a little too heavy spined, just get some heavier heads...150-160. Then again, I think you'll be fine with what you have.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It will be fun to see won't it?

Recurves are a lil different than LB, Hunter. You really need to get the crotch of your hand into the thing's throat. Don't leet the palm of your hand drop down on the palm swell or it will likely shoot nasty. You need all the force pushing right through the skinny part of the handle. It should feel like a slingshot. If you do everything right, and still can't get it to shoot pretty, try heavier heads first - cause they are cheap! Have fun buddy!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am no help to you Hunna, but welcome to the site. By the way, I'm sorry you got shorted in the Dad department. hahahahahhaha Good dude really. Just teasing you bud!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to the site Hunna! It's been years since I've shot any trad equipment but I'm sure these guys will get you on the right track. These guys know their stuff. Keep us updated on your new toy.