Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Triumph Bone Collector ?'s

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
I just bought a bone collector and was looking for advice on what loads to use? I would appreciate any recommendations from anyone who has experience with this gun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shoot the Omega. 100gr pyrodex with 245gr Powerbelt is what i have been shooting. My cousin shoots an Encore. He called TC and they told him they do all their testing using 150gr with 250gr Shockwaves. Not sure how accurate this is. Possible the TC phone line just wants you to use more powder and their brand of bullets? lol

I would think 100gr powder and 250gr bullet would be a decent starting place. Then you can work up or down on the bullets or grains to see what works best for you. I will tell you, I have spent a ton of time and money looking for the right combination. I am still not certain I have found it, but it works for me to 100yds. I would like to be dialed in a little better though in order to take longer shots which this gun is capable of doing.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
You don't need 150 grains of powder IMO. 100 grains of triple 7 and a 245 grain powerbelt is a good combo that I have been using, and I shoot a TC Triumph. Not the bone collector though, but essentially the same gun.

I have a TC encore with an omega scope. I shoot the yellow tip shockwave's 245 gr.sabot and 90 grains of american pioneer loose powder. I tried everything from 6 different sabots and pellets and other loose grain powder. This was the best that I came up with. I'm shooting coffee cup groups at 100 yards and wouldn't hesitate to reach out to 150 or a little more if I needed to.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have an Encore with a 26" barrel, it's not overly fussy what I feed it. I've never did much shooting with the 150 grain loads. I've had good luck with 100-120 grain of T7 with either regular or the ML209 primers. I have since switch to BH209 with regular 209s. The most accurate bullets I ever shot were 180 grain dead centers but I didn't care for the way they killed deer. 240 grain XTPs are terrific deer killers inside 100 yards, but drop like a rock past 100. For a better bullet past 100 yards I been using 250 grains SST(Shockwaves) but wasn't impressed with penetration at close range. Been experimenting with 300 grain SST(Shockwave) they shoot well but I haven't got a deer to cooperate on see there terminal performance.

My current load is 110grains of BH209, Win 209 primer and a 300 SST.

Buckmaster

Portage
Out of my 50 cal. Encore I use 150 grain pellets with 250gr Shockwaves and 209 primers. 4 inch drop at 150 yards and 8-10 inch drop at 200 yards.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Anyone find loose powder holding tighter groups than pellets? How different are your clean vs. dirty barrell shots? I am consistently 2" low on a once fired barrell.

Also, anyone notice a difference in reloadimg ease between powder and pellets?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
With the ease of the pre formed pellets, I can't see why anybody would shoot loose powder, except to get an odd number of grains of powder. My uncle swore by loose powder for the last 5 years because some guy at Cabela's told him to use it.....after several misfires and hangfires using loose powder, he decided to go with triple 7 pellets and has had no mishaps.

Huckleberry Finn

With the ease of the pre formed pellets, I can't see why anybody would shoot loose powder, except to get an odd number of grains of powder. My uncle swore by loose powder for the last 5 years because some guy at Cabela's told him to use it.....after several misfires and hangfires using loose powder, he decided to go with triple 7 pellets and has had no mishaps.

It's cheaper and takes a damn long time to shoot the whole bottle!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
It is cheaper and actually more consistant than pellets. I only use pellets out of convienance but powder is more precise.

matt hougan

Dayton area
I have for years shot a 325 Hornady Great Plains bullet pushed by 80gr of FFF out of my .45. I get right around 1600 fps out of that load and the heavy bullet is brutal. My dad designed and built in lines before the craziness started. We tested all kinds of bullets and powder charges. In all instances we lost accuracy above 80 gr of powder. I'm shooting a Douglas 45/70 barrel with a 1/28 twist.

to each his own . i wont shoot the pellets because when you crush one of them it will change the pressure and wont shoot the same . loose powder will always be the same if you seat your bullet down on it . i have shot and owned alot of smoke poles . i have never known a missfire to come from powder unless it is damp / shooting caps from it first, three or 4 of them to remove dampness and greese and oil will do the trick for miss fires .

I have for years shot a 325 Hornady Great Plains bullet pushed by 80gr of FFF out of my .45. I get right around 1600 fps out of that load and the heavy bullet is brutal. My dad designed and built in lines before the craziness started. We tested all kinds of bullets and powder charges. In all instances we lost accuracy above 80 gr of powder. I'm shooting a Douglas 45/70 barrel with a 1/28 twist.

matt , did your father ever live in kirkersville?

yep.. We hung out at Castners on weekends.

lol. i worked there till closing . im thinking your fathers name was jerry? but i do remember him building the 1100 inline and getting cought useing it during m l season and having to educate the game protecter on it ..lol.

you guys should have seen this work of art . man was it cool .