Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A bad start turns out great!

Derek j

Knox Co.
I decided I wanted to get the boat out one last time before our big hunting trip ( I will be in Arkansas this time next week!!!). I get out to the lake around 6:30, and launch the boat. I get out to where I want to setup, and the wind is blowing me everywhere. Took me a lot longer than I wanted to setup a dozen decoys. I finally get to the tree line by an island, and the wind just won't let up. I fight to get the blind setup, then fight to get the boat tied down.....the list goes on. After watching some birds in the distance, things die down and the action stops completely. An hour later, I hear some geese behind me. The are flying about 50 yds high and coming straight to me. As soon as they are above me, I pull up and drop the first one. He helicoptered down and landed with the biggest belly flop I have ever seen!!!!

So I untie and try to get the bird. Well, the wind wasn't having it. I went back and forth at least 3 times and couldnt grab it in time. If my pup would figure out that she can grab geese too I wouldn't have to go through this. So I finally grab the damn thing, and at that moment all the troubles I had was worth every second of agony!!! uploadfromtaptalk1324337233772.jpgThis was the only bird I got, but the band was more than enough to make me a happy hunter today! Here are a couple more pics of my day.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1324337307284.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1324337307284.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 122
  • uploadfromtaptalk1324337325872.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1324337325872.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 119
  • uploadfromtaptalk1324337357686.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1324337357686.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 122

Derek j

Knox Co.
I will definitely take lots of pics and have stories to tell. If you regularly hunt waterfowl, you have a group of guys that you always hunt with. There are 4 adults, and 2 kids going. We always have a great time hunting when we get together, and this will be even better. Waterfowl season has sucked for us this year, so we are hoping for a good trip to end the season with a baby.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats, man! I'm still in the hunt for my first band. After 12 years of waterfowling I'm starting to think I may never get one! lol