Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Down again!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
19%:smiley_bignews:

COLUMBUS, OH- Hunters harvested an additional 16,766 deer during the extra weekend of gun hunting, December 17-18, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

The extra weekend was first offered in 2006 in response to hunters' request for an increase in the amount of weekend days to pursue white-tailed deer, the state's number one big game animal. In 2010, hunters took 20,916 deer during the additional two days.

Counties leading the state in deer killed over the weekend included: Coshocton – 593; Tuscarawas – 541; Muskingum – 499; Licking – 483; Harrison – 477; Guernsey – 446; Carroll – 442; Belmont - 416; Ashtabula – 387; and Knox – 373.

Hunters must still report their deer harvest, but are no longer required to take their deer to a check station for physical inspection. Instead, hunters have three options to complete the new automated game check:

On the Internet at wildohio.com.
By telephone at 1-877-TAG-ITOH (1-877-824-4864). This option is only available to those who are required to have a deer permit to hunt deer.
At all license agents. A list of these agents can be found at wildohio.com or by calling 1-800-WILDLIFE.

Hunters are showing support for all three game-check methods. Since the beginning of deer season, 44 percent of hunters have used the phone method, another 36 percent are reporting their harvests over the Internet, and the final 20 percent are traveling to a license agent’s location to check their game.

The Division of Wildlife is collaborating with Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry to help pay the processing fees of donated venison. Donations of extra deer will be accepted throughout the entire deer season. Hunters who donate their deer to a food bank are not required to pay the processing cost as long as the deer are taken to a participating processor and while funding for the effort is available. Counties being served by this program can be found online at www.fhfh.org.

Hunters who wish to share their success can submit a photo of themselves and the deer they killed this year to wildohio.com.

The white-tailed deer is the most popular game animal in Ohio, frequently pursued by generations of hunters. Ohio ranks 8th nationally in annual hunting-related sales and 10th in the number of jobs associated with the hunting-related industry. Each year, hunting has an $859 million economic impact in Ohio through the sale of equipment, fuel, food, lodging and more.

A detailed listing of deer-hunting rules is contained in the 2011-2012 Ohio Hunting Regulations, available where licenses are sold. It may also be viewed online at wildohio.com.

-30-

EDITORS NOTE: Following is a list of deer killed by hunters during the deer-gun hunting weekend, December 17-18. Numbers in parentheses are 2010 figures.

Adams - 323 (302); Allen – 122 (104); Ashland – 252 (367); Ashtabula – 387 (579); Athens – 332 (352); Auglaize – 82 (57); Belmont – 416 (529); Brown – 261 (319); Butler – 102 (96); Carroll – 442 (585); Champaign – 128 (147); Clark – 76 (77); Clermont – 226 (300); Clinton – 84 (110); Columbiana – 324 (429); Coshocton – 593 (931); Crawford – 91 (99); Cuyahoga – 2 (3); Darke – 71 (81); Defiance – 174 (182); Delaware – 143 (162); Erie – 31 (82); Fairfield – 180 (318); Fayette – 23 (29); Franklin – 47 (55); Fulton – 85 (98); Gallia – 233 (304); Geauga - 160 (133); Greene – 74 (73); Guernsey – 446 (620); Hamilton – 91 (85); Hancock – 147 (102); Hardin – 103 (116); Harrison – 477 (693); Henry – 95(70); Highland – 267 (300); Hocking – 281 (332); Holmes – 303 (466); Huron – 198 (256); Jackson – 215 (208); Jefferson – 369 (427); Knox – 373 (543); Lake – 46 (57); Lawrence – 205 (235); Licking – 483 (615); Logan – 200 (188); Lorain – 173 (255); Lucas – 30 (36); Madison – 50 (62); Mahoning – 181 (176); Marion – 80 (107); Medina – 157 (203); Meigs – 269 (358); Mercer – 57 (51); Miami – 70 (59); Monroe – 281 (367); Montgomery – 18 (23); Morgan – 242 (317); Morrow – 130 (201); Muskingum – 499 (596); Noble – 272 (430); Ottawa – 33 (51); Paulding – 124 (140); Perry – 228 (372); Pickaway – 93 (105); Pike – 161 (179); Portage – 167 (162); Preble – 72 (88); Putnam – 77 (66); Richland – 290 (403); Ross – 265 (344); Sandusky – 60 (82); Scioto – 224 (256); Seneca – 159 (200); Shelby – 97 (97); Stark – 175 (212); Summit – 44 (40); Trumbull – 242 (329); Tuscarawas – 541 (740); Union – 73 (86); Van Wert – 86 (85); Vinton – 231 (219); Warren – 110 (137); Washington – 330 (439); Wayne – 184 (204); Williams – 197 (184); Wood – 76 (71); Wyandot – 160 (163); Total – 16,766 (20,916)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah.. The weather was deplorable compared to last year when there was 3-4 inches..

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm calling it... They will blame the automated check in. They will claim more people are just not calling in or checking in online. Although I don't see how there is a difference between calling in or going to a station. The same guys that don't call in are the same ones who didn't go to stations. If you've always done things by the book you'd continue.
But, I think that is where they will ultimately hang their hat.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm calling it... They will blame the automated check in. They will claim more people are just not calling in or checking in online. Although I don't see how there is a difference between calling in or going to a station. The same guys that don't call in are the same ones who didn't go to stations. If you've always done things by the book you'd continue.
But, I think that is where they will ultimately hang their hat.

That's what I said last summer... Here is whats reported____.. But here is what we estimated it to be_____... Telecheck only allows them to have another excuse, continue to blame the hunter, and keep their "management" more smoke and mirrors. It makes no sense.. We made it easier to check in a deer so less people did it? So they would be implying more people would be honest doing the the harder way.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Based on reports of hunters I know on the internet and in the real world I think hunters are checking. If less deer are checked I'm inclined to believe it's because less deer are being killed.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Based on reports of hunters I know on the internet and in the real world I think hunters are checking. If less deer are checked I'm inclined to believe it's because less deer are being killed.

And also because less people were out there hunting. I didn't hunt at all, and I know of many others didn't go either. I saw deer all over the place this weekend, though. Saturday mid-day I drove from Fremont to Strongsville down the turnpike, then down to Seville on 71 and saw lots of deer along the way... since the snow made it easy to spot 'em. Not that this all means anything... I just think there are more factors involved than JUST less deer to kill. I'm not seeing hardly any gun hunters around these parts for some reason.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And also because less people were out there hunting. I didn't hunt at all, and I know of many others didn't go either. I saw deer all over the place this weekend, though. Saturday mid-day I drove from Fremont to Strongsville down the turnpike, then down to Seville on 71 and saw lots of deer along the way... since the snow made it easy to spot 'em. Not that this all means anything... I just think there are more factors involved than JUST less deer to kill. I'm not seeing hardly any gun hunters around these parts for some reason.

Lots of that is along major highways though. Rarely do I ever see anyone hunting in my stretch between spfld and columbus.. Partially because they don;t park on the highway and go in, they probably park on the back side of the property. I think if you got 5 miles off that interstate and see what it looks like for deer numbers. Properties with quick access are usually owned or have people that don't allow hunting. People that want to live within 30 minutes of town but in the country tend to stick close to the highway.. There will also be more urbanites, housing developments, businesses. etc. But I have seen less deer in the fields along 70, with this year being less. And I saw far less roadkill during the rut.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lots of that is along major highways though. Rarely do I ever see anyone hunting in my stretch between spfld and columbus.. Partially because they don;t park on the highway and go in, they probably park on the back side of the property. I think if you got 5 miles off that interstate and see what it looks like for deer numbers. Properties with quick access are usually owned or have people that don't allow hunting. People that want to live within 30 minutes of town but in the country tend to stick close to the highway.. There will also be more urbanites, housing developments, businesses. etc.

Like I said, my observations didn't mean much... just saying what I saw. I really wish we had some numbers for how many guys have been taking to the woods each year for the past few years, just to see what the trend is. It sure seems to me that there are less gun hunters going out there and putting in the time that they once did.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Like I said, my observations didn't mean much... just saying what I saw. I really wish we had some numbers for how many guys have been taking to the woods each year for the past few years, just to see what the trend is. It sure seems to me that there are less gun hunters going out there and putting in the time that they once did.

License sales should tell the story. If anything I bet they are getting out the same or more. With an estimated 20% of the population unemployed or underemployed maybe they have more time to get out during the week, so they spend more weekend time with family. Most of those unemployment numbers will also affect jobs common the hunters, construction, factory, etc.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
License sales should tell the story. If anything I bet they are getting out the same or more. With an estimated 20% of the population unemployed or underemployed maybe they have more time to get out during the week, so they spend more weekend time with family. Most of those unemployment numbers will also affect jobs common the hunters, construction, factory, etc.

Well I believe license sales have been on the decline, haven't they?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hmmm... Nevermind... Looks like hunting license sales haven't changed all that much over the past 3 or 4 years....

http://ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/PDF/pub063.pdf

However, with the ever-increasing popularity of archery season, I bet there are a lot of guys out there like me who could care less about gun hunting anymore. Over the past 5 years, my time spent chasing deer with a gun has dropped significantly. I only hunted with a gun one morning this year, out of the possible 9 days.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well I believe license sales have been on the decline, haven't they?

Yeah. Not totals, as NR sales are keeping up the slack for resident decline last time I looked... We we're loosing something like 2,000 - 3,000 a year.. But we're talking only a couple thousand hunters missing from like 400,000. So the drop in licenses doesn't directly correlate to the drop in harvests.. Unless the ones that dropped off were hardcore hunters.. Odds are however they we're the occasional, old, or halfhearted ones anyway.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
There might be a drop in tag sales. I buy tags as I use them. I started with one $15 and one $24 still have them both. Last year I bought one $15 and three $24 tags.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There might be a drop in tag sales. I buy tags as I use them. I started with one $15 and one $24 still have them both. Last year I bought one $15 and three $24 tags.

Good point. By now I usually have 2-3 under my belt. I have shot one deer this year and am saving my last zone B tag for bloody snow.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I haven't seen a deer in the woods (while hunting) since my son shot his. I have only been out a handful of times, but it has been pathetic. Like the others have noted, very few shots heard , not many trucks in the pull offs, and no orange in the woods.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hey, I'm guilty. I didn't go Sunday. My son and I went Saturday. He said he was tired of going and not seeing anything and would just rather stay home on Sunday. This kid draws pictures of deer everyday, shoots his bow most every day, eats and breaths hunting. Granted, he's only 8 and probably doesn't have the patience he will later in life. He just needs to see one to be thrilled. I sorta feel bad that I don't have a "go to" spot anymore for him to see just one, but it isn't like I haven't tried to find 'em.

Apparently we all need to go to Athens. Coon seems to think they are plentiful there, even though he rarely sees a deer and never kills one. Tonk lives there, and apparently thinks there are still plenty of deer. Maybe Athens is where it's at, like in the 70's. We have just gotten spoiled having deer throughout the state. I guess I'll just have to start heading to Athens again to kill deer.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I didnt go sunday either, between family commitments and trying not to pressure any deer, if they are there and let them find the corn, I didnt go.