Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So what happened here?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The doe that I shot on 12/4 was about 50 yards away. The Remington Premier AccuTip sabot slug made a clean entrance and clean exit.

The doe from Saturday was only 10 yards away and made a massive entrance hole and did not exit. The heart was nearly split in two and there was some stomach contents present. I felt around the opposite rib cage and shoulder and didn't feel anything.

So, what happened? Did the slug shatter upon impact?

Attachments

• 687886298_2459950045_0.jpeg
    687886298_2459950045_0.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 199

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's weird. Sounds like the sabot fragmented big time to me. What was the angle of the shot? I don't think I've ever shot one that close and NOT had an exit wound....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Never seeing an entrance wound like that before I would have to say that bullet started to rip apart before it even hit her. Did you hit a branch you didn't see ? Seems a little odd to me to have such a large hole on impact and no exit at only 10 yards.

I would go back and look around and make sure you didn't hit a branch. Then I would check the barrel to make sure there is nothing in there. If both of those options check out, I would stop shooting those slugs.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Maybe the plastic wad was still attached and caused it to tumble around.???

I have seen my wad bounce off the deer as the sabot went on through at 15-18 yards but it had barley separated.
I could be way off though. Let us know what you find inside.

The amo all come from the same box/lot?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
She was broadside about 5 yards from being perfectly in front of me (I was on the ground sitting in my tractor tire). I didn't see a branch, but who does in that split second and it was first light. I believe the slugs came from the same box, but I'll have to check on that. When I walked up on her, I was pretty horrified at what I saw. She must have been dead before she hit the ground. At that moment, I wish I had my crossbow instead.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Bullets are designed to expand at certain velocities. Sometimes at very close range the bullet is traveling to fast and can't hold together, especially if it hits bone.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
From what I see if I am correct.....looks like you hit the shoulder blade (skinning should tell you more) I have a hunch you will not find all the blade in that shoulder..........Impact was so hard at that distance, it imploded part of the shoulder and made your hole bigger....just a logical guess, so let me know what you find out. Glad you got her.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
on second thought, the wad probably had nothing to do with it.

I believe Adam and Sam or on the right track.

What we have here is a ... Tunguska Impact

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Horrified? It did it's job. Might not be the prettiest, but it was as quick, clean, and ethical as you can get. Just not pretty. lol

I agree, it does almost sound like it clipped a tree limb and began to come apart before it hit her, but as close as you were I would think you would have seen a tree limb. I dunno.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Horrified? It did it's job. Might not be the prettiest, but it was as quick, clean, and ethical as you can get. Just not pretty. lol

I agree, it does almost sound like it clipped a tree limb and began to come apart before it hit her, but as close as you were I would think you would have seen a tree limb. I dunno.

It was just that I hadn't ever seen that much devastation before. I'm over it. From what I felt, it didn't touch the shoulder blade but I could be wrong. I'm not processing her, so I'll have to ask when I pick up the meat.

Attachments

• 687886672_2459951395_0.jpeg
    687886672_2459951395_0.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 687886848_2459952015_0.jpeg
    687886848_2459952015_0.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice thought on the shoulder blade Xbowguy.

that is a fine looking deer cart you have there Mike! Looks like Huckleberry delivery service has enabled you to get some blood on it! Congrats again!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
She had to be angled pretty good to get stomach matter and heart all mixed in there I would think. I have never had one with such a nasty entrance wound, but quartering shots often tear at an angle. Any chance it was a sharper angle than you thought? I shot a buck I would have sworn was broadside once. My arrow went in right on the money behind the shoulder, came out last rib on opposite side...no way he was as broadside as I thought! :) Even still, thats a nasty wound!

FredT

SE Ohio
My guess and that's all it is, is that at 10 yards the velocity really made it open up vise the deceleration of the earlier 50 yard hit.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
She had to be angled pretty good to get stomach matter and heart all mixed in there I would think. I have never had one with such a nasty entrance wound, but quartering shots often tear at an angle. Any chance it was a sharper angle than you thought? I shot a buck I would have sworn was broadside once. My arrow went in right on the money behind the shoulder, came out last rib on opposite side...no way he was as broadside as I thought! :) Even still, thats a nasty wound!
Not sure, she could have been. She was more broadside than quartering I do remember that.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I just talked with the processor and she said it was all ribs. The shoulder blade was intact. :smiley_confused_vra

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm going to say that bullet probably exited somewhere, and the massive wound is part of the blast from the gun.