Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sushi

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Who eats it? I have been on a Sushi kick lately thanks to of all places....my Kroger. It has a little dude in there making it fresh everday. He had sample out and I tried one out of curiousity. It was awesome. Kimbob (no raw fish) California roll. Tried a few others and REALLY liked it.

If you do eat it where should I go to try a bunch of different types? What types do you recommend. Love me some raw ahi tuna.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I love sushi! Sashimi and rolls are Japanese. Kimbob is korean.. Kim=seweed Bob=rice.

When I went to Honolulu I LIVED on sushi and sashimi for a week. Awesome.. Then I came back to Ohio and haven't had it much since. Hawaii kind of ruined it with how great it was. I still go sometimes.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I don't eat it but;
I was at the local fish house today and fresh Lake Erie Perch was at $15.50 a pound!
Frog legs- $23.00 lb.

What the hell is the world coming to...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
It usually isn't the raw fish that turned me off to some Sushi it was the seaweed being so strong flavored. Latest one I had was a strictly veggie sushi and it was killer. My wife and I will be back to Hawaii in the next five years so I will kill it then.

Any good places to go local, Lope? I would like to go and try a bunch of different types. Suprising how fast you can get full on it. Add some plum wine or saki and your set!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I don't eat it but;
I was at the local fish house today and fresh Lake Erie Perch was at $15.50 a pound!
Frog legs- $23.00 lb.

What the hell is the world coming to...

Perch because it is out of season right now would be my guess. I love frog legs but they have to be REALLY fresh or they taste....um....swamp mudish. lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It usually isn't the raw fish that turned me off to some Sushi it was the seaweed being so strong flavored. Latest one I had was a strictly veggie sushi and it was killer. My wife and I will be back to Hawaii in the next five years so I will kill it then.

Any good places to go local, Lope? I would like to go and try a bunch of different types. Suprising how fast you can get full on it. Add some plum wine or saki and your set!

The places we go are all here in downtown columbus. There is a great one right in the arena district by north market. I'll have to get the name for you.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I can tear up som sushi. don't always know what i am eating but i like it. The place next to the rave theater on polaris is good from what i hear, I have never been there. guess im going to have to have lunch there soon.

Buckmaster

Portage
I've eaten it on fine dining trips across the country; mainly on business trips. I think I've eaten just about anything that swims in the sea.
Makes for stinky poop the next day.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Love me some sashimi! Salmon or tuna, matters not! I haven't tried the octopus yet though...we have the same deal at our local Kroger's too...its not bad for a quick sushi lunch or snack or appetizer...On our way to our summer vacation destination this year I stopped at Sushi Rock in Beachwood, just east of Cleveland...I think it's the original Sushi Rock too...anyway, that is by far the best sushi I've ever had anywhere...I got there just as they opened for lunch and they were still cleaning up from a friday night party that stayed until 6am...I was told the party was for Lebron James and guests...

I never cared for the salmon roe though....tastes too much like the muddy Maumee River smells in the spring time

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
LOVE SUSHI!! sashimi and california rolls, I dont like the raw fish stuff. I am more of the cheeseburger of sushi guy. Give me a cup of wassabi and soy sauce mixed together and some sushi and I am good to go!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll eat it at the Hibachi grill next to work. I'm not afraid of trying new things, so I'm fine with trying it anywhere I am at. Although I am a novice, I'm sure I've not had "good" sushi yet...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Love it. Go to Wokano in Mansfield on W 4th st. Best in the area. Give the Crouching Tiger Maki a try.

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
The place next to the rave theater on polaris is good from what i hear

Same here... never been there, but I've heard good things about that place.

I just tried some Tuna this week at a dinner I was at. Surprised the hell out of me for how good it was!! That was my first experience with anything sushi like, and I loved it. I'll have to broaden my food horizons a little more I guess.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My Kroger has a guy too. I've never had it. I would try the one without raw fish.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Mike,

Start off with the California rolls @ the Kroger. Ours sells so much that he makes it per request half the time.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'll eat it at the Hibachi grill next to work. I'm not afraid of trying new things, so I'm fine with trying it anywhere I am at. Although I am a novice, I'm sure I've not had "good" sushi yet...

Same here, we go to a Hibachi grill near Findlay and I've tried a couple types there, some I liked some I didn't... I know guys that go there and just eat sushi and drink, not so sure I like it that much, but I haven't tried too many different kinds. I couldn't even tell you what I've tried :)