Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking out loud

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I believe it would be better for all parties involved if they would end deer season 2 to3 weeks earlier and start a couple weeks earlier. The higher temps in Sept. would suck but you'd have a chance at a velvet buck but most importantly, you'd have less tendency of killing a buck late and having his horns fall off. The potential of killing what was thought of being a big doe but was instead a buck that had shed would greatly be reduced as well.

What's everyone elses thoughts?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree. A few years back when the DOW added a couple of weeks to archery season, I couldn't help but wonder why it extended into February. Really, do you want to shoot a doe with a fawn hanging half way out the back end? One reason I like Kentucky, their season is early enough that around 50% or so are still in velvet. I've only killed one in velvet, and he tore it up pretty bad on the death march, but it was still cool and wish we could hunt that early here.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Regarding the temperature; I dont think the deer mind it at all early in the year. They don't start putting on their heavier coat until the first of October - and I firmly believe that is what causes the famous "October lull". I've hunted green fields in 90 degree weather and had them full of deer a couple of hours before sundown. The bugs suck, but your feet don't get cold.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I believe it would be better for all parties involved if they would end deer season 2 to3 weeks earlier and start a couple weeks earlier. The higher temps in Sept. would suck but you'd have a chance at a velvet buck but most importantly, you'd have less tendency of killing a buck late and having his horns fall off. The potential of killing what was thought of being a big doe but was instead a buck that had shed would greatly be reduced as well.

What's everyone elses thoughts?

Sounds logical to me....would work out good for me where I hunt...when beans are planted anyway.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Maybe buck only for the first few weeks. TOO many fawns are still nursing to start earlier.

Good idea Schu! Like also said before, hunting over lusher green beanfields would be killer and the mature bucks are more patternable.(is that a word) lol