Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody heard this.....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
It was passed on to me from an "Old Timer ~~ Yes, Even Older Than Me!" That any new gun should be taken home and barrell brushed and cleaned as if you had already shot it. Especially Rifled guns! His theory is that any metal fragments left in the barrell will mar the rifleing for life ~~ He claims great shooting guns start at day one. Sounds logical and darn well can't hurt anything.....But just wondering if anyone else has heard this before.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Hadn't heard that.
Some guns are fired at the factory. (mostly higher end I think)
But it certainly makes "horse sense" and can't hurt anything.
And if it's a model new to you, certainly would help to familiarize you with the weapon before shooting.
And oil is always a good thing.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I always clean a new to me gun. First, it helps get to know it and any quirks. Good time to function test bits like the safety also. Some guns come with a "packing" grease on them from the factory that is meant for rust protection only, not a lube. Most guns (especially semis) don't function well with that stuff. Plus, it is always a good time stroking your gun....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I always clean a new to me gun. First, it helps get to know it and any quirks. Good time to function test bits like the safety also. Some guns come with a "packing" grease on them from the factory that is meant for rust protection only, not a lube. Most guns (especially semis) don't function well with that stuff. Plus, it is always a good time stroking your gun....

Love that quality time.
Like a first date (only with a gun)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know a guy that is absolutely fanatical about "breaking in" new rifles. He runs a brush down them immediately upon arrival, and then between EVERY shot for the first 100 shots or so.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
"Break in" is a myth. Unless your talking function rather than accuracy.

A good barrel is going to fire its best shots first and slowly get worse as it goes. All things being equal.

FredT

SE Ohio
Well based on what I know and have done, 32 years in the service as a weapons type, shot military competition with high power rifle and pistol, rubbed shoulders with the armorers at Quantico, Camp Pendleton and the Navy armorers van at Perry and the other Navy matches, had a tour of Wilson Barrels and a working relationship with them and had a Hawkeye bore scope at my last 8 years at the Coast Guard Academy I have looked down a few barrels in my days. Some new from the factory are real POSs. Others I have seen are truely works of art made by people who really know their business. Others are good and could be greatly improved by hand or fire lapping. All Wilson barrels are lapped and then scope inspected. Most all, I don't know who does not, firearms are proofed at the factory and may be cleaned, usually are not. There could be a preservative in the barrel. In any case a new barrel should get a good scubbing when it gets home to get all of that crap out of the barrel. Some barrel makers have instructions on how to break in their barrels, other say theirs do not need a break in period. I have a Smith Corona 1903A3 that shot great but would copper up so bad that the accuracy went away until all copper fouling was removed. I fire lapped it and cured that problem. I have several guns that NEEDED fire lapping. I put a new Wilson barrel on my Rem 700 .220 Swift and shot fantastic as soon as it was zeroed in. A good .22 LR should not need a bore brush, just patches for cleaning (wet and dry). If you need a bore brush you are already in trouble. It will never hurt to shoot and clean each of the first 10 shots. That might hone down any high spots that might be on the edges of the lands. Others just shoot a new gun like they always intend to shoot it and walk away happy as a clam. The Hawkeye bore scope is like doing a colonoscopy on your gun barrel. It does not lie. Believe me on this, ignorance is bliss. You do not want to see what your favorite barrel really looks like. These are just a few pearls of wisdom on gun barrels.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Well based on what I know and have done, 32 years in the service as a weapons type, shot military competition with high power rifle and pistol, didn't shoot til we saw the whites of their eyes at bunker hill, massacre the Indians, shot a Sharps horseback in the civil war, dual-welded tommy guns during prohibition, saved austrian with their own damn mausers (good looking gun, btw), went back across the pond and ran a quad fifty, went through two swamps with grease guns, and then have picked off people in the sand with their own ak47s and something called a barrett...

:smiley_coolpeace: Fixed it for you man. Figured you were just being modest!

In all seriousness, I had never thought about it...thanks for learning me something

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Funny stuff Huck! There is zero doubt good ol' FredT has been around and knows his stuff. Thanks for the education lesson FredT!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Thank you Fred......I would have to say you explained it all TOO well. Been thinking about getting a real rifle (.17 Cal) is what I use for now. Was looking at my Taxidermists .223............and if I am going to spend like $1600 on the set-up....want to start out right.

Huckleberry Finn

It is not an issue of modest, it is what I did for a living. But that was a different time.

Just wanting to share this stuff with you guys.

Fred, I was just giving you a hard time. I really appreciate the wisdom and knowledge that you bring to this forum - it is simply unmatched. Moreso, you are always willing to answer questions, and I personally know that I have asked some very dumb questions. Not only are you dedicated to shooting and firearms, you take the time to share that knowledge with others, through text or taking a gun out and snapping a few pictures. That's a priceless contribution to this site. I enjoy learning like that and I know a lot of others do as well!

Huck

FredT

SE Ohio
Thanks Fred!

What is involved in fire lapping?

Fire lapping is used when your barrel might be slightly pitted, has rough spots, high spots, machine marks on the lands that cause leading or coppering. I know barrels like that are rare.:smiley_depressive: The lapping process takes a jacketed projectile that is rolled in a lapping past, extra fine, fine, medium and coarse between two metal plates to press the grit into the copper jacket. This is then handloaded at a velocity of 1200 feet per second or so to lap the bore when fired. A full job would consist of 10 each of the grades of paste, fire 5 and clean, fire 5 and clean. The coarse will pretty much take out any issues with the bore and the rest polish it out real nice. All grades are not needed depending on the condition of the bore. Just some extra fine will work wonders at times. That is it in a nut shell.