Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not how i wanted the day to go!

Derek j

Knox Co.
My intentions for today was to go to Kokosing Lake and kill some divers. I drove over there yesterday morning to find a very thin layer of ice on the entire lake. I figured with the rain and warmer weather coming, that it would be good for this morning. I got everything packed up (at least I thought), and headed out to slay some birds. When I got to the ramp, I could see that there was still ice on the lake! There is another fella that hunts there almost everyday, and I could see where he went out. So I figured, what the hell......bust some ice and get to my spot. I launch the boat, pack my gear and dog, and start heading out.

As I am getting in the boat, I can see that this ice is about 1/2" thick! Now ice isnt a problem for me......I have an 18' Semi V that can break it up pretty good. What i do have a problem with is that Kokosing is only a 10hp lake. Meaning I cant even idle my 40hp. So all I have to bust through this ice is my 45lb trolling motor. That wouldnt have been bad......if I would have remembered BOTH my batteries. I got about 1/4 of the way to where I wanted to set up, and decided that I better turn back before I get stuck with a dead battery. It wouldnt have taken long for that trolling motor to suck the juice right out of that battery. Now the only thing I can hope for is all this warm weather we are suppose to get will thaw everything out. Looks like we will be river hunting tomorrow!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow... Sounds like a very frustrating morning, Derek. The ice shouldn't last much longer, though, so try to keep your head up.

Derek j

Knox Co.
The nice thing about my area is that if the lakes freeze over, we head to the rivers. I'm thinking like you, the ice shouldn't last much more, and should be able to get out a couple days next week. Pretty bad I haven't shot a mallard yet this year. Mostly teal, woodies, and early divers.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The nice thing about my area is that if the lakes freeze over, we head to the rivers. I'm thinking like you, the ice shouldn't last much more, and should be able to get out a couple days next week. Pretty bad I haven't shot a mallard yet this year. Mostly teal, woodies, and early divers.

Dang that's crazy, man. You have any good field hunting around you? This year has been pretty weird so far... None of the big flocks of ducks and geese are hitting the fields nearby like they have been the past 3 years.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Dang that's crazy, man. You have any good field hunting around you? This year has been pretty weird so far... None of the big flocks of ducks and geese are hitting the fields nearby like they have been the past 3 years.

I am running into the same issue JB, starting to get frustrated. Just keep telling myself they have to start coming soon.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sucks to hear that dude. But at least you got out!!!

Today is the first day I noticed the birds starting to hit our area. There was a shit ton of ducks north of Newport today...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
derek, drop that sucker and goose it...ain't nobody gonna bother you bustin ice..send a wake wave into that stuff and watch it crack up

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I woulda just started the big motor and idled thru the ice. I was surprised how much ice lingered today when I was scouting . Once its here I guess it sticks round awhile . I bet the warm rain and wind tomorrow busts it up some tho.