Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Time To Regroup

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Up until yesterday, I had a pretty positive outlook on hunting late season. I had been focusing all of my time hunting around behind my parents chasing Big E, but now things are going to have to change. My Aunt contacted me last week stating the timber behing my parents had been sold, and that they would be in there as soon as the ground froze to start timbering. I was thinking I still had a month or so to get it done, but I got another call yesterday from my Mom saying they had began cutting. They aren't clear cutting, just doing some selective timbering, but it still ruins my chances at killing Big E. Through the last week of October and all of November, I had seen him a half a dozen times, and felt it was only a matter of time before I got my shot. Now, I'm just not sure it's possible. The 30 acre lot behind my parents is a great late season draw, due to the abundance of acorns and undergrowth to browse on, and the lack of pressure and cover it provides to gun-shy deer. I was really looking forward to spending the end of December and January in there playing chess with the big boy, but now I must scramble to find a new challenger. Though my spirits have been shaken, I am still confident that I can get it done this year. It has now been over four years since I have killed a buck, but my confidence in my ablilities is at an all-time high. I have had encounters with four different shooters this year, including my wife's buck, and I know it's only a matter of time.

Beginning this weekend, I will be shifting my focus to a 270 acre farm that for the most part this year has remain untouched. There is roughly 70 acres of corn still planted on the farm, and I feel confident that there is a shooter hiding in it somewhere. On Monday, I will get out and set up four Spypoints on this farm, and start trying to locate a new shooter. I've been running cameras over there off and on all season, but have yet to hunt this farm. I'm hoping the lack of pressure during the early bow season up to this point has drawn deer from neighboring properties to this farm and will make for some great hunting once the corn comes down. Only time will tell, but for now, I remain optimistic that I can get it done.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Way to stay positive and focus on what you can control. It's too bad about losing the property with you're #1 buck on it, hopefully your cams will give ya some good hope with the new property though. Do you have any stands on this 270 acre farm?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't have anything up yet, but I have been hunting this farm for years. This is the same farm Hook, Hook Jr., and CR came from, so my only concern right now is finding where a shooter is, not "if" there is one on the farm.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
No whining or bitching, just a positive outlook on your abilities and the resolve to re-plan and get it done. Excellent!

Dude, I'm pullin' for ya.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't totally rule out Big E just yet Greg. Last year in the late season we started working on the pond on one of our properties. I continued to run cameras. Whenever there were long cold spells with snow remaining on the ground for weeks at a time I would throw a couple hundred pounds of corn out. I did this approximately once a week in an effort to supplement their food. I was done hunting at this point. We were covered in deer. It was often when the operators came in and found brand new tracks in the mud and snow in the mornings. One day they came in, fired up the dozer and excavator and began working. It wasn't until lunch time when they stopped for a break that a shooter buck jumped up and left. He was within 30yds of the excavator all day and never moved until they exited the equipment for lunch. All I am saying is, they will get used to the equipment quickly I think. I think this is especially true if they are consistently in there. Talk to the crew. Find out which days they are NOT working. Find out if they are working in the rain or snow. If not, run your butt to the stand midday or late afternoon if it looks like they are going to get sent home early due to rain. You just might be surprised!

Good luck and great attitude!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldn't totally rule out Big E just yet Greg. Last year in the late season we started working on the pond on one of our properties. I continued to run cameras. Whenever there were long cold spells with snow remaining on the ground for weeks at a time I would throw a couple hundred pounds of corn out. I did this approximately once a week in an effort to supplement their food. I was done hunting at this point. We were covered in deer. It was often when the operators came in and found brand new tracks in the mud and snow in the mornings. One day they came in, fired up the dozer and excavator and began working. It wasn't until lunch time when they stopped for a break that a shooter buck jumped up and left. He was within 30yds of the excavator all day and never moved until they exited the equipment for lunch. All I am saying is, they will get used to the equipment quickly I think. I think this is especially true if they are consistently in there. Talk to the crew. Find out which days they are NOT working. Find out if they are working in the rain or snow. If not, run your butt to the stand midday or late afternoon if it looks like they are going to get sent home early due to rain. You just might be surprised!

Good luck and great attitude!

Yep... What hicks said... Don;t give up on him because of the timber cutting.. They clear cut over 200 acres on our lease one year of mature hardwoods. You could go out there in the evenings and see deer walking around on the ridge over just like nothing happened.. When I had a shot on the Tall 8 this year I was sitting in my stand watching the combine and grain cart work the field. The buck came out of the woods into the cut field with the combine and cart driving around 400 yards away.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have first hand experience with taking a deer moments after the chain saws were turned off! I've talked to others, Johnch I think, who have had similar experiences.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's another thought... the cutting going on will bring fresh tops down to feeding level. It may increase feeding in that area if you can catch a place that is cut and then left alone for awhile or long enough to hunt.
You commented on the trail cam pic on my journal page... that camera is 50 yards from a place that the owner was dozing the heck out of earlier that day. He leveled a bunch of trees and scrub (for no apparent reason) all the way to my blind. Low and behold, that buck was still hanging around in there 4 hours after they were done.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here's another thought... the cutting going on will bring fresh tops down to feeding level. It may increase feeding in that area if you can catch a place that is cut and then left alone for awhile or long enough to hunt.
You commented on the trail cam pic on my journal page... that camera is 50 yards from a place that the owner was dozing the heck out of earlier that day. He leveled a bunch of trees and scrub (for no apparent reason) all the way to my blind. Low and behold, that buck was still hanging around in there 4 hours after they were done.

...and, the tree tops that are cut and left make good bedding cover in winter, at least in my experience. They selective cut all of the large oaks in one of the woods I hunt. I saw ovals in, under and around those tops during the winter months.

Schu72

Streetsboro

Yep! Not saying you shouldn't explore other options, but I would totally ignore this as a late season feeding/bedding site.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
One of my farm's was timbered a few years ago, i still had the same amount of deer as before. they do like the top's that are left for bedding. the only thing that i had to battle was the undergrowth came back like a jungle, and you had to be in a tree to see any distance.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Yep! Not saying you shouldn't explore other options, but I would totally ignore this as a late season feeding/bedding site.

I plan on moving a cam with some corn back in to the area after they are done. With the lot only being 30 acres, I don't expect it to take them too long to get the timbering done. With time running out, I honestly feel my best option will be hunting the cut cornfields of this other farm. I have no doubt the timbering will help the property more than it will hurt it, so I am looking forward to hunting it in the future.

I appreciate the words of advice and encouragement fellas. It's nice to have another opinion once in a while.

Schu72

Streetsboro
There will be some long term benefits as well as some short term. Just sayin' not to discount the short term, even if its a day in muzzy or late, late bow.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looked up at my wall and had to chuckle. Yep. The buck I killed last year. Windy as heck. Walked in to find the property owner talking to his boys within 75-100yds from my stand. I climb into the stand and they walked to the barn. Next thing I know the tractor is pulling the manure spreader and making a terrible ruckus. It shut down and within 30-45min my buck was on the ground. Buddy I am telling you, they KNOW when people come and go. They KNOW when they are safe or not. Good luck!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Greg, like some of the others have said, don't overlook it cause they are going to timber. I know of folks who have had great success hunting freshly timbered areas. One guy I hunt(ed) with in PA is a logger and they always have deer in the tops for food and cover as they work properties.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Greg, you've got a great attitude! Can't add a much these great bunch of guys already said. I'd run cams on both properties and hunt both so's you can give one a break. Continue to hunt hard between beds and cornfields over the heaviest traffic areas and you should be in great shape. Like Dan said, We're all pulling for ya! Goodluck buddy.