Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I'm going to take the plunge.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Last Christmas my wonderful wife got me a flintlock rifle. Life got in the way and I didn't shoot it as much this summers as planned. Got it out this morning and no issues with ignition and I was shooting minute of deer vitals offhand at 35 yards. I'm going to practice with it every day this week. If the weather this weekend is as nice as the forecast claims that is what I'll be using this weekend.

I might lower my standards and if the right shot presents it's self on a little buck I might take it. (lots of qualifiers in that sentence)

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome Sam! Glad you are seriously considering putting that beauty to work! good luck this weekend!

Huckleberry Finn

That's a beautiful gun that deserves to take a deer! The weather had better be perfect too! Can't that gem into the elements

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Sam, I think in this case, if it's brown, it should be down.

I think it's cool that you're putting that gun to work though.....using it as a tool instead of a showpiece. Outstanding!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I shot it some last winter. The first time out I didn't have the flint properly placed in the cock and had a few misfires and hangfires. A friend was with me that has used flints for years and he helped me get it adjusted. After that was corrected it has worked perfectly every time. The ignition is almost instant, only the slightest discernible time from the trigger breaking till the gun fires. It sure teaches you to follow through after pulling the trigger.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The only thing that comes to mind Sam is don't forget the camera!!!!! :smiley_clap: Heading too the Orchard his weekend????

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I get a special feeling carrying a flintlock deer hunting. Its just something about it and being in the woods hunting. I'm sure you will love it TOO.
Spent quite a few times in the snow w/ a oiled piece of leather over the pan and flint to keep the snow flakes out and still wondering if it would go off. (it always did)
Keep yer powder dry and Good Luck!
Its very cpool to deer hunt with a flintlock, patch and ball.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Sammy, we're expecting lot's of hero pics showing the deer and gun together.
You should dig out your coonskin cap for the photo shoot.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Ifn I had a coonskin cap I would wear it just for you Dan even though I would run the risk of earning the nickname "coonskinner".:smiley_blackeye:

Based on my luck for gun week don't get your hopes up for any dead dearz pixs.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Got that smoke pole in the garage cooling down Sam?
You don't load em room temperature do ya?

Last edited: