Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weather and Corn

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
What is up with this weather? I know its Ohio and our weather is crazy, but it seems like we are going to have a really extremely cold winter and not alot of snow, or it is just going to open up on us. We usually have a pretty good snow at least once by now. Its almost christmas and there is a TON of corn still up around me. No wonder noone is seeing deer and gun week was crap for most people.

I don't remember seeing corn up this long or at least this much of it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have seen a TON coming off the last 2 days. frozen ground has been their first chance to get back on it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hope it's a super hold winter with very little snow... That would give me some amazing ice fishing weather!!! :smiley_bril:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Corn? What corn? Sheet... there ain't a cornfield withing 10 miles (as the crow flies) of my hunting ground. What does this mean? I don't know, I just though I'd chime in. I know I ain't seeing deer, so the corn ain't the problem.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
At this point I'd be praying for the last corn standing to be on "my" property. Once we get snow and cold temps, those fields will be a magnet. I'm planning a couple of trips to KY to hunt standing corn for that very reason.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Leaving standing corn is just the poor farmer's way to dry it cheaply.

Not this fall, first it was planted late then wet weather again when it was time to harvest. Now lots of it needs the ground to freeze and the forecast is for 40-50s all week.

Last number I heard(iirc it was the 12/5 crop progress report)was 30% of Ohio's corn was still in the field.

BTW I finished mine Nov 18th, the last field was 25% moisture, cost ~ 50 cents a bushel to dry. Was tempted to wait but it started raining right after that and we wouldn't have gootten back in till this weekend.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
There is a ton of corn around me that is still up, its crazy. This is all around my house though, not my hunting property. That corn is all cut.

Its going to be almost 60 tomorrow...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Corn has been coming off like crazy the past few days and the two fields killing me the most, came down in the process. It was like someone flipped a switch behind my parents place when the corn came off. My food plot had been untouched and 75 pounds of corn was last two weeks. They ate the entire food plot down and 150 pounds of corn in 10 days. My late season hot spot looks like it will be hot again!!!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I drove by a field on the way home last night that was being picked two hours after dark. The combine went past my parents house at almost 10pm. I'm hoping they the farm where CR and Hook Jr reside. I plan on being in there this weekend, and think I have a killer spot picked out. May be kind of dead though if the corn is still on.

I have considered stalking the corn this weekend TOO, but with the way people are around home, that may be a tad dangerous.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have considered stalking the corn this weekend TOO, but with the way people are around home, that may be a tad dangerous.

No shit! With your luck, the WV dipshit would be there with his posse lobbing shots in to the corn shooting at noise and moving stalks!!!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
No shit! With your luck, the WV dipshit would be there with his posse lobbing shots in to the corn shooting at noise and moving stalks!!!

Oh, I have plans to combat that this weekend. Have an extra vehicle I can borrow? I was gonna park every possible vehicle I can get ahold of at the entrance to the farm Saturday and Sunday to give the impression the farm is being hunted hard in hopes potential tresspassers would continue on down the road.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Oh, I have plans to combat that this weekend. Have an extra vehicle I can borrow? I was gonna park every possible vehicle I can get ahold of at the entrance to the farm Saturday and Sunday to give the impression the farm is being hunted hard in hopes potential tresspassers would continue on down the road.

TOO road trip lmao.

Actually thought about doing something like this out at my hunting spot but never did lol.