Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

white turkey

rossbows

My day was going to cut wood Saturday and came up on a flock of hen turkeys along the roadside. He said there was an all white hen. I have never seen one before. Has anyone else seen one before and how common are they. There is also a couple white deer in that area most be something in the water.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
White turkeys are commercial breeds. It's what Butterball raises for your Thanksgiving day feast.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Ive seen albino wild turkeys in flocks once before out in Coshocton county. They are not as "white" as domestic turkeys. If it was real white it could have been a stray. I lost my peacocks to wild turkeys in the spring. Neighbors kept sayin "theres a Blue Turkey in the neighborhood" My male was under 3yo and didnt have his veil yet, LOL!!

Huckleberry Finn

Very slim chance that it's an albino or 'ghost' turkey. Probably a domestic that's gotten loose, or a half wild/half domestic.

Derek j

Knox Co.
They are also called silver phase. They have a lot of grey and white throughout them. I had a hen silver phase in a flock on the farm a couple years ago. You could tell she was calling the shots too. Wherever she went, the flock followed.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Not as uncommon as you might think Huck
albino Turk 1.jpgAlbino_Turkey.jpgalbino turk baby with mom.jpgalbino tom turk.jpgalbino turk in flock.jpghunted albino turks.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep, I've seen two of them in the past four years. I think they sometimes call them "smoke phase" turkeys as well. I don't think they're all that rare.