Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Survival Scenerio: Would you be able to survie 90 days?

Would you be able to survive 90 days?

I decided to offer up another survivalist scenario. Here it is.

Your left on a small densely wooded island (500 feet across every direction) with a 15 x 15 clearing for 90 days. The island is surrounded by a non-penetrable fence. You have no direct access to water. However it will rain 3 days each month. The temperature will stay a balmy 72 degrees/24 hours a day. The only animals in the wood lot are some wild rabbits along with general bugs/worms. The island also contains some sedimentary cryptocrystalline form of the mineral quartz,

You are wearing the following clothes: laced up sneakers, a button down short, a drawstring hoodie, parachute pants, a pair of glasses, and a baseball hat (yes, you are certainly styling!)

You only have a survival knife and a empty metal water bottle. However, once on the island you discover in your parachute pant pocket the following items: a yo-yo, pack of gum, 20-1 dollar bills, and a tightly folded large plastic laundry bag wrapped with several rubber band.

Would you be alive 90 days later? How would you do it?

I'd love to hear how you could possibly stay alive under those circumstances.

saddlepants

central Ohio
First line of Duty would be to use the survival knife to create shelter from the wood lot and a tool to dig with. Use this tool to create a cistern (lined with the bag) to collect and keep water for as long as possible and to collect morning dew as well. Then create a firestarter, again using supplies from the wood lot. Since rabbits reproduce at an alarming rate my next order of buisness would be to try and stalk the rabbits to find where they are kindling and there warren and make an attempt to capture and eat the younger rabbits where possible to keep the adults reproducing. Gestation period is 4 weeks and weaning is in 3. A warren can contain a large family of rabbits but the mothers kindle in a separate location. As for the quartz - well simply stated...Id have to learn the art of "flint knapping" real quick to create some of the aformentioned tools! The lacing will help in this respect but the clothing will have to be kept as clothing to protect myself as much as possible. The gum will be saved for "glue" as needed. The Yo yo? Id figure out some use for it. It has string and two plastic "cups". The glasses to help protect my eyes during the flint knapping process and if they are prescription to aid in fire starting and signaling a rescue boat. As for the cash I would save it for a good meal as soon as I was rescued!! The water bottle will be used to store some water and carry for work. Tools, Shelter, water, hunting tools, food, better tools, are the priority in that order.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If I could collect water as Saddlepants suggests, I'd be fine. I have at least 90 days of reserves around my mid-section. What did I win?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Saddlepants covered much of what I had been thinking as I read it. I don't have 90days of reserves. I think I am going to die if I go 9 hrs without eating.

Metal container, plastic and rubber bands would be my form of collecting dew or rain water to stay hydrated. Food? Seems simple enough given the circumstances and what the island has to offer.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
My survival plan is to have a satellite cellphone duct-taped to my chest at all times when traveling by boat or plane so I can call for an airdrop.

Or use my shoestrings for snares. Catch me some live, build me some hutches and raise rabbits. Use their skulls fer something.

brianridesbikes

not so sure I would go using up my knife right away as this could come in handy later for skinning some of those rabbits... if you take your time you could probably find a large enough flint nodule to use as an ax to hew some small trees in order to erect your shelter... the longer that knife holds its edge the more handy it will be. not to mention the work it would take to cut with a survival knife of any size could potentially waste precious calories.

I do agree with dann the mann though... you have to use the skulls for something ;)

Saddlepants, impressive problem-solving and situational planning skills!:smiley_clap:

 Brock Ratcliff- rotflmao

Dannmann801- No duct tape or cell phones allowed- nice try though::smiley_blink:

Brianridesbikes- Good Points :smiley_chinrub: