Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bacon Burgers

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
For those who process their own deer, this one is outstanding. We cut 12 pounds of deer into small cubes. We use fairly lean vennison for this. Then a 6 pound box of bacon is cut into small pieces also. (We use 6# box as our local grocery sells it for 11.99) Mix both meats well and make sure you have an even mix. The smaller pieces will help greatly with the mixing. Then run throught the grinder together twice. We then use an ice cream scoop to make the correct size individual amounts. (GFS sells many different size scoops). We bought one of the cast iron patty presses and adjusted it to fit our amounts which is just shy of 1/4 pound burger. Double sided wax paper (or any waxed paper) can be placed on the patty press, then a scoop of your mix and then another piece of paper goes on top just before pressing. This will keep your patty press cleaner and burgers come apart better after freezing. This particular batch will yield right around 74 burgers. One thing we noticed is to turn them often on grill or in a pan as the bacon can scorch a little faster than normal burgers......Everyone who has tried these want more! And this one will make the "Non-Vennison" people change their mind if you can just get them to try it! I now know of 5 people who turned their nose up at Vennison and now they eat it due to these burgers. You do not have to try it with 12 pounds at first.....Main thing is a 1 part bacon to 2 parts deer. And there is no more of the bacon sliding off the burger on the first bite! Plus the wife will love you as they are so easy to prepare....pop them apart with a butter knife and straight to the pan........Those who try this: Let me know what you think? My guess is you'll do it again for sure!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have a feeling if Jesse is to get any at all, I had better send them like the Omaha Steaks.......Now ya got me to wondering who sells dry ice near here................

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a feeling if Jesse is to get any at all, I had better send them like the Omaha Steaks.......Now ya got me to wondering who sells dry ice near here................

Mejier or however you spell that dang place.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That sounds freakin awesome. I know the first hting that is going through my new meat grinder that I got for my b-day. :pickle:

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I wish this thread would stop popping up, get hungery every time i see the title. going to have to make some!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I tried it and loved it, totally awesome.

Last night I added a little spin. On the second pass I also added diced jalapenos. Then before packaging added cheddar cheese chunks. Can't wait ti try it out.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn you Rick...... rotflmao Now I'm kicking myself for not getting this done when they brought it up too me and the guy who cuts mine up..... I knew I should of done it..... :smiley_coolpeace:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
We were planning on attending the Strouds hunt and cook them for everyone. Done a freezer check and there was hardly any left from last year. Guess they weren't TOO bad.
I'm glad to see people liking this. 1/4-1/3 bacon or pork will turn deer burgers into an adventure.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Having just read this, I will be making some on our next deer, if we kill any more. I have the press too, and it makes venison burgers a dream. Trying to patty up burger that has been frozen in bulk can be a pain. I can't wait to try it with bacon added, and had thought the same thing as Steve about adding jalepeno...that's gotta be good!

Buckmaster

Portage
if you wish to stay on the healthier side, add shredded potato in lieu of pork to make burgers.
They stay tender and juicy with no additional fat added.