Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Unique Dead Deerz

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
These skulls were first worked down by Diane and our bugs. Then we send them off to be dipped. There are many different patterns to choose from (I should have the samples soon). I also had my mailbox and hardhat dipped. And NO the pink one is not mine! Although I believe it is kinda cool for the ladies.

hpim1724-2.jpghpim1721.jpghpim1717.jpghpim1716.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Someone please explain a dip process. I don't see how you can "dip" something in liquid and have it come like that.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We have a 167" 13-point monster that I have been wanting to get this done to. But we also have a 200# doe cape for it. Decisions, decisions!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow! I think I remember you posting this before and telling the story behind it. Your dad killed it?!? Dang memory must mean I'm an old fuggar!lol

That would be bad ass if it were dipped! IMO though, if you ever decide to shoulder mount those antlers. Only use a bucks cape even if the doe weights 300lbs, it would not look right. IMHO

saddlepants

central Ohio
Someone please explain a dip process. I don't see how you can "dip" something in liquid and have it come like that.

Its an interesting process Mike. All Camo hard surfaces are dipped. Its like a film picture that floats on top of the liquid (water maybe) and the item is taken down through this "film" with the image on it. Any camo guns and anything are done this way...saw it on TV once! Huge tanks when done professionally but.....

Here the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6_ur8hybY A DIY video I just found

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Its an interesting process Mike. All Camo hard surfaces are dipped. Its like a film picture that floats on top of the liquid (water maybe) and the item is taken down and then pulled back up through this "film" with the image on it. Any camo guns and anything are done this way...saw it on TV once!

Here the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6_ur8hybY A DIY video I just found

Ohhh, thanks for the explanation!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Wow! I think I remember you posting this before and telling the story behind it. Your dad killed it?!? Dang memory must mean I'm an old fuggar!lol

That would be bad ass if it were dipped! IMO though, if you ever decide to shoulder mount those antlers. Only use a bucks cape even if the doe weights 300lbs, it would not look right. IMHO

Nope. Dad's was a clean 167" 10-point. This deer was found by my then 12-13 year old cousin in February one year while he was shed hunting. He wasn't even gone 25 minutes and found it within a couple hundred yards of the house...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The Water has to be a certain temperature...a "plastic film" with the camo print is placed on that water and left for a couple minutes to reach temp. Then the film is sprayed with an activator spray which turns it into liquid but still holds together like an oil slick. Antlers or whatever is masked off and the skull is rolled as it is dipped. Skull is sprayed with primer first to help adhesion. If you happen to have watched the episode of Orange County Choppers do "The Money Bike" ($100.00 bills all over it)....That is the same guy who does our skulls.

saddlepants

central Ohio
The Water has to be a certain temperature...a "plastic film" with the camo print is placed on that water and left for a couple minutes to reach temp. Then the film is sprayed with an activator spray which turns it into liquid but still holds together like an oil slick. Antlers or whatever is masked off and the skull is rolled as it is dipped. Skull is sprayed with primer first to help adhesion. If you happen to have watched the episode of Orange County Choppers do "The Money Bike" ($100.00 bills all over it)....That is the same guy who does our skulls.

I watched both videos and it looks so easy xbowguy I dont understand why you dont just do it your self? Its in my plans for sure

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Give it a try...Hopefully you are better at it than I am.......Cost me $100.00 to find out I'd rather send them out. (Guess it's true sometimes that it's hard to beat a guy at his own game) Plus, to get the Name Brand Camo Patterns, I found out it costs more than what they say on their adds usually. If it works good for you, let me know as you are closer to me than he is.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Give it a try...Hopefully you are better at it than I am.......Cost me $100.00 to find out I'd rather send them out. (Guess it's true sometimes that it's hard to beat a guy at his own game) Plus, to get the Name Brand Camo Patterns, I found out it costs more than what they say on their adds usually. If it works good for you, let me know as you are closer to me than he is.
I will do that as soon as I can afford a kit. I really want to learn Taxi as well but the schools are all too far away. I want to find someone to apprentice under but no one wants to teach their competition, lol. Ive been told by many that I would probably be good at it as I seem to have attention to detail and very artistic.