Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Newbie Advice

jtenhundfeld

Ok everyone, I'm new to the site and I will be heading up around Akron to hunt some public land next week. I have a climber and my bear bow and am willing to hike forever to get to the perfect spot. Any suggestions on how to pick a good tree and what to do about shooting lanes without being able to cut a bunch in since I will be hunting alone. I will be scouting on Sunday and then hunting monday through friday. Any tips or tricks for a first time hunter on public lands? thank you and good luck hunting

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome. Spend some time reading in this forum a little.. TONS of good info here.. I have no Idea what the habitat is like where you're planning to hunt, so I wouldn't be able to help much.... But read around some and someone will be along to help ya out I'm sure. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
try to go in teh night before and find a tree you want to hunt and get familiar with it. climber in the dark in a new area could be a bad mix. Be safe.

jtenhundfeld

it is public land. either West Branch State Park or La Due public hunting land. West Branch is in Ravenna and La Due is in Middlefield. I will be hunting in the afternoons so no worry about climbing in the dark. I'm just worried about climbing up 15-20 feet and not having any shooting lanes.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Look on google earth. West Branch has quite a mix of cover. They have bean and cornfileds was well as very thick brushy areas and mature woods. There are tons of oak trees on the property as well. Unfortunately, you are coming up post gun season and that place gets hammered. The deer may be very nocturnal at this point. There are definately deer there and there are good food sources, but I'm just not sure about daytime movement.

I have never hunted La Due, but that is very close to Amish country if that tells you anything.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
LaDue has some good deer on it, but it can be a bitch to hunt. I have a good friend who has spent a good amount of time on there and generally speaking, he hates it most of the time! Good luck though. Like Schu said, use Google maps to give yourself a perspective on the area. You can also access topo maps here: http://www.mytopo.com/maps/