Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ticks! Worst ever

tritonbill

NE Ohio
I have never seen anything like it! My buddy had 8 ticks, I had around 8 and my Dad had 4! They were the really small ticks, black with a reddish bottom half. They were all over us.

Anybody else experience this bad before? This was today in Harrison County.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

saddlepants

central Ohio
They were talking about the Black legged tick on face book from the ODNR Ill go look for the link for you. The ones your describing are in fact the Black legged tick and its there time of year right now. Yeah, found it, they are the ones that carry lime disease: here is what they posted on FB

"If you’re out hunting this weekend, don’t forget that blacklegged ticks, those that can carry Lyme disease, are active this time of year. If you suspect you’ve found a blacklegged tick on yourself or on a deer, collect it alive and send it to your county health department for verification. http://ow.ly/7N0sM"

http://dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_re...older/Diseases/ticks/tabid/23053/Default.aspx

Last edited:

Big H

Medina
Bill, I had over 30 on me looking for a deer during youth season, I still have the heebie jeebies if I have an itch... LOL Every time I looked at my pant leg there were a couple crawling up. I also pulled several off my daughter. Only one of them was a wood tick, the rest were the ones you are describing. I agree, this is the worst I have ever seen them.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They were all over my buck when we were skinning it. That was Nov 18. I've never seen that before. Of course, usually I drop my deer off at a processor so skinning is new to me. Maybe it's common, but I thought it was strange for ticks to be on him this late.

Huckleberry Finn

Be careful. I've got a good friend (not from Ohio) who contracted lime disease over the summer...to say that it's a bitch isn't enough...