Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shotgun Scope

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My Son has a 20 ga. 870 with a cantiliever scope barrel and the scope that came on it has Remington stamped on it as well as China..... It doesn't keep a group too save it's backside and was holding out for some deals on scopes after season..... So my question is what is a decent scope for around a 100.00 bucks that will hold it's point of impact for a few years lol???? I have a couple of Simmons Pro Diamonds one on my shotgun and one on my muzzleloader and both seem too be a good scope and haven't had any issues with either..... But they are older and am wondering if anything new has been put out since?????

"J",
I've got a Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40, on my .25-06, that I purchased from Cabelas for $99. You just have to keep an eye open for some sales...which should be coming up soon after the holidays.
Here's a link to the Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scopes on sale at Cableas...these are Cabelas brand, which I've found to be quite good. Priced between $34.99 to $89.99.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...752080&WTz_l=SBC;MM;cat104752080;cat104535180

Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

"J",
I've got a Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40, on my .25-06, that I purchased from Cabelas for $99. You just have to keep an eye open for some sales...which should be coming up soon after the holidays.
Here's a link to the Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scopes on sale at Cableas...these are Cabelas brand, which I've found to be quite good. Priced between $34.99 to $89.99.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...752080&WTz_l=SBC;MM;cat104752080;cat104535180

Bowhunter57

I have a Cabela's scope on my muzzleloader...but to be honest with you, I think they sent me their lever action model instead...it was Christmas time last year. I put it on the gun, figured if it didn't do any good, I'd just return it. It works fine.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J",

Bowhunter57

You know who they are made by???? They're listed as reticle being a diamond.... sounds like a simmons?????

twireman

Kingston, OH
I have the nikon 2-7 on my 1187...nice scope. I just bought a leupold 2-7 VXI for 139.99 shipped from cabelas in middle in November. Of course it was back ordered but I just need it before muzzy season.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the nikon 2-7 on my 1187...nice scope. I just bought a leupold 2-7 VXI for 139.99 shipped from cabelas in middle in November. Of course it was back ordered but I just need it before muzzy season.

Just saw the Leupold as well, it has peaked my curiosity to say the least lol.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Optics Planet or Natchez. There are two places to check off top of my head J. I shoot open sights on my shot gun. Sorry. No help.

J said:
You know who they are made by???? They're listed as reticle being a diamond.... sounds like a simmons?????
"J",
While I was at the Dundee store, I asked one of the customer reps behind the gun counter, "Who makes the scopes for Cabelas?" He said that he honestly didn't know, but there were rumors around the store that Nikon was making them for Cabelas. I told him that I though that was strange, since he'd said it first, because that's who I'd heard was making them for Cabelas. Interesting...:smiley_chinrub:

Just the same, it doesn't matter to me, as the glass is extremely clear and I've not heard of anyone having any problems with them.

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Get a Leupold when they're on sale... LIFETIME warranty. Fin Feather Fur has the the Rifleman 3-9x40 on sale all the time for around 150 bucks.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
J, I too have and love my Nikon Prostaff 2x7 on my shotgun. It is on an 870. I think you would be happy with it if you find it for the right price.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I Love my Leopold Scope 2.5 x 7 on my Omega.......It's Awesome! I too agree on the Optics Planet Store on-line......find some good deals in there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well first of all this is for my kids shotgun so I'm funding it so it's not going too be too high dollar rotflmao

Also, I was under the understanding you want to keep the objective around the 30's to keep from blowing out the crosshairs, or is that from the old school of thought???

Last edited:
If anyone has a specific scope they want please feel free to contact me. I have a good source for scopes and can get them at a discount. Better prices than Optics Planet 9 out of 10 times. Sometimes they are REALLY great deals.

Put it this way. I got this scope for $489.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope.html

What is the difference between the Viper and Viper PTS. I know that the PTS has a MRAD retical. I want a 4X16X50 mm scope with target turrets for that M700 i bought.