Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saturday - Day 6

Huckleberry Finn

Well folks, figured I'd take my turn to start the gun thread for the day since I'm still up and ya'll are about to get up for the day. Good luck to all that are going out - be safe, watch the drivers, and shoot straight!

--

Figured I'd share a story that occurred on this day 6 years ago. It would have been my second year hunting.

It was the Saturday of the guns season and all things looked good for the day - snow on the ground and cold temperatures had the deer moving, plus of course, by the end of the week, the deer have been running all week. This particular year was the only one that my older brother hunted with my dad and I (we laughed last week at a brotherly joke that occurred that week). At breakfast this morning my father was reviewing shot placement on his paper plate and I said "Hey, what about if I see a coyote? Should I shoot it?" We all agreed that there was no chance that we'd see a coyote, but if so, it'd be fair game.*

We drove out to the woods and hoofed it in, me toting my 870 that I had bought the summer before working my first job. We sat in the woods staggered, my father in the middle of the woods, my brother sitting over a bowl, and I walked the furthest down to a thin strip of woods between two fields. I carried my five gallon bucket in, picked a tree, and waited. Some time passed, perhaps an hour of light or so, and I hear something in front of me. To this point, I had only hunted a handful of times, and this would have been my second or third solo sit - I had no idea what I was doing. I saw something skirt in front of me, dip into a small depression in front of me, and suddenly there's a coyote standing 25 yards broadside. I raised my gun and pulled the trigger! BOOM! Coyote down...

In my excitement, I forgot that we were hunting deer and rushed to walk up to my brother and father. By doing so, I pushed deer towards them, and I remember my father scolding me for talking to my brother loudly when there were deer in front of him and I scared them off...he was excited thinking that I had just shot my first deer...nope, coyote! We walked down to it, and, without a camera, decided that we'd drag the thing out at my insistence to have a picture taken. I will never do that again! Stinky bastard!

coyote.jpg

*Pretty crazy that this was 6 years ago and as gun-only hunters, we were in disbelief about seeing coyotes around our parts. Last year I saw 5 during daylight and this year I've seen 2.

---

So that's my fondest memory of the Saturday of gun week...good luck TOOzers!

saddlepants

central Ohio
As much as I cant wait to see something to shoot My backs not looking forward to that cold tree, lol. Good luck guys..push sompin ta me!! .............pleez?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
About to walk back to the tree. Going to an observation set and have family on speed dial for trespassers. Lol

Good luck all!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm Rootin fer all of ya!.....ZJ is feeling better so we're gonna occupy a blind with the crossbow this afternoon......He has 2 Antlerless to fill by tomorrow...........Oh Boy! Pressure is On!

saddlepants

central Ohio
Frozen fingers and still seen NADA. No Deer. No Hunters pushin. No Nothin. The squirrels know be by name and arent even scared of me anymore. They run within feet of me carrying whole cobs of corn. Fresh new tracks ion the mud my side of the field but htey all must be nocturnal. Didnt hear the first shot till 7:30 and then not much until 9-9:30 but all far away. Im so not impressed.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Lots of shots around me this morning. I seen 4 deer. A nice 8 point and three does. No shot oppurtunities. Got down at 1020...froze. Beautiful morning.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dreadfully slow. Kinda surprised. Here for the duration though. It only takes a moment to make a season memorable!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I think that im going to head out for somthing to do. been sitting at home hanging out with the kids and they left with mom and went to the mall. so i guess that makes me a free man..lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nope. Maybe on their way back into stand? Oh well. I'm sitting where I am specifically for one particular buck. I am not budging no matter how slow it is.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just sat down for the afternoon overlooking a field where, I think, no one has been yet. It's comfy, that good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322937802.122197.jpg

Got both boys and pap with me. Looking for a buck and doe to pop out. Not real optimistic but ya never know. I haven't hunted this spot since high school 20 years ago.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322937952.611504.jpg