Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sandhill Cranes, Morrow County

saddlepants

central Ohio
Is anyone else seeing them? I have see a Trio for the last two years. They fly from west to east over the quarry at sundown. I have seen them nearly every time I hunt fly over my blind. I saw them again Monday eve (gun opener) and convinced they fly over this spot every night since that night I saw them a little further south of my blind so I figure some nights I just miss em. Its just interesting I guess I thought they should be gone by now to Florida. But its a TRio and its been two years on the same flight path. I dunno where they are coming from or going to but its not the quarry although the lake is big and plenty of waterfowl there. And its not my part of the river.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are a ton of them down in the Killbuck Marsh area, in Wayne County. They sure are some noisy birds!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Prime Rib with wings!!!

They always make me think of the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz for some reason.

I had a flock of about 40 of them fly over me, while I was in my treestand, on Wednesday morning. I heard them waaay before I seen them and they were about 9 miles high (exageration). I'd hate to hear them at treetop level, since they were as loud as they were in the stratosphere.
My best guess of their altitude: 800+ yards.

As Jethro Bodine would say, "Them legs ain't much, but that neck is eatin from now on." :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I am going to asume you are talking about the Chesterville sand and gravel quarry and if so, I trap beaver out of a large part of the Kokosing to the south of there and have seen them in there til the water freezes over. I got one last year by the toe in a mink set in there and ended up having to put my carhart over the dumb ass to get it to shutup and stop bitting me in order to let him go.