Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

About that Bow Clinic we talked about...

saddlepants

central Ohio
OK what it boils down to is I have a small collection of arms that I use and dont know enough about..some I have no idea how to take down, clean ect. some stuff I know. What I need is someone very local (morrow county) who can help me learn about the guns I have so I can better care for them or buy accessories for ect. I begged my EX to teach me but he would end up just doing it when I wasn't around. He liked to tinker and I get that, but now I NEED to know these things. Is there some one anybody can recommend or can we do some thing like this at the bow clinic. My husband doesn't know these things and probably would like to as well. The only two guys I know around here are either A. and a$$&%$! who screwed up my bow and refuses to not "flirt" or another guy B. who is good but is family friends with my ex and kinda grumpy know-it-all type. I just dont want to deal with drama, no flirts please, I am really happy with my man, lol.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I know most guns well. I would be happy to show you whatever you needed to know from that stand point. I am weak when it comes to cap and ball and some older firearms. Just let me know what I could do to help.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

saddlepants

central Ohio
I have my Browning Pump shotgun I have no idea how to disassemble (if nec) to clean although I cleaned it last year without. I have my Thompson Center Thunderhawk that I have no idea how to disassemble OR clean at all but it hasnt been used since last cleaning? say three years? Plus I have read there is a modification for this ???? cost about 30-40$ what it is or what it does? Flamethrower 209 , shotgun primer conversion kit?? And have two single action stainless 45 colt style Rugers that I know pretty much about and clean every shoot but dont know how to really tear them down for good clean. They were bought used and have some black powder residue I cant seem to get off - we used black powder blanks in CMSA. Lastly I have my dads old 22 revolver I know absolutely nothing about and its a H&R929 22LR pistol

For the muzzleloader just download the manual from TC its under Non-current Manuals http://www.tcarms.com/manuals/
Im guessing that the browning is a model BPS if so I can tell you how to take that one down too. its simple but a little different than most pumps. I dont know much about Ruger's Colt SAA style pistols but if you contact Ruger they will put a manual in the mail for free for you.

saddlepants

central Ohio
HAHA, the whole Manual thing has never worked for me. But If I watch I can do. Thats my biggest issue with most things. I suck at book learnin but If you let me tinker with it or I watch someone I can usually end up real good at it. Hell I could tear my m16 down , clean and back together before anybody, lol. But Im like a guy when it comes to instructions....throw them damn things away....Oh and BTW I forgot my sidearm. Charter Arms 38 sp

saddlepants

central Ohio
I dont know much about Ruger's Colt SAA style pistols but if you contact Ruger they will put a manual in the mail for free for you.
My biggest thing with my rugers is getting some baked on powder residue off. That pisses me off because stainless is so easy to clean there is no excuse for it to have even happened but I got a sweet deal on this pair so I cant complain

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My biggest thing with my rugers is getting some baked on powder residue off. That pisses me off because stainless is so easy to clean there is no excuse for it to have even happened but I got a sweet deal on this pair so I cant complain

I recently tried Hoppes Elite Guncleaner (VERY different stuff from the typical Hoppes cleaning products) on a revolver cleaning job and found that it did a much better job of removing the carbon fouling and "staining" than anything else I've tried. It is my understanding that M-Pro 7 cleaner is the same product under a different name.

Before that I always used Leadaway cloth from Birchwood Casey.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Thunderhawk...

1/3 water
1/3 peroxide
1/3 Oil soap

I take the stock off and pull this solution through the barrel using a the cleaning rod and swabs. After a good drying with swabs I go over the gun with CLP. Bore butter after that. The conversion is REALLY simple and it allows you to use the more consistant 209 primer rather than the caps.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Let me know which Browning you are talking about and I will walk you through it. I am betting the BPS though since it is a little different than most shotguns.

saddlepants,
If you like to watch and learn, I suggest YouTube. Nearly anything you can think of is on their website.
Just type in "disassembly" or "cleaning" of (firearm name) and you should be in business.

I sold a 7.62x54R Mosin-Nagant to a co-worker and he has good basic firearms knowledge, but during is cleaning processes, he disassembled the bolt and couldn't get it back together. I suggested YouTube and he had it back together in no time. All it was about, the firing pin cocking mechanism had to be pulled back before the other parts could be assembled. I knew how to put the bolt back together, but couldn't think of how to explain it over the phone. :smiley_chinrub:

There are tools & tricks that come in handy and you tend to pick up/learn over the years.
Examples:
* An old toothbrush (great cleaning tool for the nooks and crannys).
* An old sock to use as an oil rag, for wiping down the metal and wood parts.
* Brake cleaner will remove 98% of anything and it drys quickly.
* A bore snake (in various calibers and gauges) makes a great tool for a quick clean up job on the bore.

There are lots of other things that you pick up as you go.
Good luck!
Bowhunter57